Page 165 of 235 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Site Supporter
    The Lonely Silver Rain by John D. MacDonald. This title is the last Travis McGee novel published 1985. It is perhaps the most "libertarian" novel of the series with its rants against the War On Drugs, the societal cost of a government currency, the price of cultural decline with economic development, and the depression that often goes with growing older, being a survivor.

The plot is rather convoluted, worthy of Raymond Chandler, and the dialogue could be better, but the story gets at the heart of the corruption that was the 1980s. MacDonald has an insight into what makes people tick, and this motivation is not a good one. You are on your own.

This might be getting out of hand...

https://www.amazon.com/Bacalao-Salte.../dp/B000LRKOXA
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

I’m going to buy some salted cod today.

Bacalao salad is a must on Christmas Eve

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    I’m going to buy some salted cod today.

Bacalao salad is a must on Christmas Eve
    It was a big deal in the kitchen of my late mother-in-law on X-mas eve. She was a great Sicilian cook.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It was a big deal in the kitchen of my late mother-in-law on X-mas eve. She was a great Sicilian cook.
    I do a salad with cod, olive oil, some parsley. Then one that is baked with leeks and San Marzano tomatoes.

My ex is Italian and her mom taught me how to cook. Miss that lady. But not my ex.

@blues

Thank you for the recommendation on Child 44! Just finished it a couple minutes ago. It was a good page turner. It fell a little short of excellent needing some polish and maybe to lose some coincidences. Overall, a satisfying read though. May have to see if Citizen X is still available on Prime Video for a comparative (based on the real life serial killer that inspired Child 44). Don't remember much of it other than Donald Sutherland as a militia officer plus the scene with the villain getting his "nine grams" at the end.

For dystopian detective novels, have you read Fatherland by Robert Harris? Been about 30 years since I read it but remember it being a pretty good and having a more powerful ending than it's movie version.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    @blues

Thank you for the recommendation on Child 44! Just finished it a couple minutes ago. It was a good page turner. It fell a little short of excellent needing some polish and maybe to lose some coincidences. Overall, a satisfying read though. May have to see if Citizen X is still available on Prime Video for a comparative (based on the real life serial killer that inspired Child 44). Don't remember much of it other than Donald Sutherland as a militia officer plus the scene with the villain getting his "nine grams" at the end.

For dystopian detective novels, have you read Fatherland by Robert Harris? Been about 30 years since I read it but remember it being a pretty good and having a more powerful ending than it's movie version.
    @Half Moon

My pleasure.

And yes, I did read Fatherland and enjoyed it. (Never saw the movie.) I also liked Roth's "The Plot Against America".

I'm not a huge fan of Harris but I also think "An Officer and a Spy" was a very good read, and I also recall enjoying "Enigma" as well. But especially "An Officer and a Spy" which centers on the Dreyfus Affair but in a very fresh manner, imho. Give it a look if you haven't read it.
    Last edited by blues; 12-21-2020 at 11:28 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

You can make your own considerably cheaper than that, if you're so inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by NWshooter View Post
    The Stand by Stephen King

Appropriate for 2020
    CBS adapted it to a TV show too that either just started airing or is airing soon

User Tag List