Page 162 of 235 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172212 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @Half Moon

If you haven't read Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, I think you'd enjoy it. (I read Gorky Park years ago...and am a fan of Maxim Gorky as well.)

I know I read the two companion books in the series to Child 44, but I do not recall them being particularly noteworthy (to be kind). Child 44, however, is very good and stands on its own.
    IIRC there was a movie of the same name that starred Tom Hardy. IMDB tells me it was based on that book.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    IIRC there was a movie of the same name that starred Tom Hardy. IMDB tells me it was based on that book.
    The movie was pretty good, as I recall...the book (as it usually is) is superior.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I seem to see mixed opinions here. Are Jack Carr's books worth reading or not?
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Honestly, I can't give them high marks. I'll give some props for the effort...but if I wasn't between books at the time and relying on recommendations here, I wouldn't have made it as far as I did.

That said, I'm a pretty poor barometer. Most of the folks here enjoy escapist b.s., (books, movie and t.v.), that I find intolerable or mind numbing...despite my respect for these forum members in most other venues. So, take my criticism with some (or more than some) salt.

And no disrespect intended toward the author whose service to our country, (based upon what I've read), is far more substantial in my eyes.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I've read part of one. It's the paperback in my backpacking backpack. It's ok.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Jack Carr’s books are good fun but they remind me of the jack reacher series.

The Revengers by Marcus Wynne

A series of so far 4 novelettes concerning a pair of retired USMC Force Recon operators who stalk and kill, then rob, evil people-child molesters, human traffickers,

serial killers etc.

Wynne's trademark tradecraft is on display and really is the star of the show. Good info on breaking down human corpses for easy disposal and selecting dump sites.

Quite enjoyable and free on Kindle unlimited.

I can’t remember if I recommended Greg Iles on the forum. He’s an excellent author and I’ve read a majority of his books. Highly encourage people to read. His Penn Cage series is hard to put down.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Not sure if this has been posted but I finished Tombstone and I thought it was fascinating. It started slow with the history of SE AZ but once it hit the Earps and Cowboys it picked up. I had seen some of the stuff on Behan and the Earps going to trial but the level of politics would drop into 2020 seamlessly.

Tombstone: The Earp Brothers, Doc Holliday, and the Vendetta Ride from Hell https://smile.amazon.com/dp/12502145..._pTSZFb9P8SRXM

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted but I finished Tombstone and I thought it was fascinating. It started slow with the history of SE AZ but once it hit the Earps and Cowboys it picked up. I had seen some of the stuff on Behan and the Earps going to trial but the level of politics would drop into 2020 seamlessly.

Tombstone: The Earp Brothers, Doc Holliday, and the Vendetta Ride from Hell https://amazon.com/dp/1250214580/ref..._pTSZFb9P8SRXM
    Branch have you read Doc and then Epitah by Maria Russell? They’re fiction but they’re really good. I liked Doc better of the two. I think @Stephanie recommended them earlier in this thread.

https://amazon.com/Doc-Novel-Mary-Do...s%2C239&sr=8-1

https://amazon.com/Epitaph-K-Mary-Do...s%2C239&sr=8-2
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List