Page 161 of 234 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 2340

Thread: Book Recommendations

The last couple weeks reading - The Arkady Renko trilogy by Martin Cruz Smith:

Gorky Park
    Arkady Renko is Chief Investigator of Homicide for the Moscow Prosecutor's Office. When a trio of bodies are found, without faces or fingertips, in Gorky Park, he finds himself trapped in an investigation with foreign entanglements and KGB implications.

This came out in 1981. I'm pretty sure the idea of centering a hero around a Soviet police officer was pretty groundbreaking at the time. The story was originally written around an American detective and I believe he is still the basis for a key supporting character. You can see the plot in your head if it had gone that way. When Smith flipped the focus character, his publisher refused to move forward and it took years to buy the book back and shift to another publisher. Overall taut and suspenseful with a very different feel due to the culture portrayed (though I'm not sure Smith always gets the details right). Overall a good read and with a particularly strong ending. Call it 3.5 out of 5 stars. Better than expected since I remember the movie as being meh at best.

Polar Star
    Stripped of his position and party membership, and hounded by the KGB, Arkady Renko finds himself working the processing line of a fish factory trawler in the Arctic. When a crew woman is found dead, with his detective background, Renko is tapped by the ship's Captain to assist the investigation.

This was my favorite of the three books. A sense of the absurd pervades and humor is laugh at loud at points. Despite this it is still a suspenseful mystery and edge of your seats in turns. 4 out of 5 stars.

Red Square
    Reinstated to the Moscow Prosecutor's Office as a Special Investigator, Renko finds himself investigating another murder when an informant is killed in spectacular fashion. As Renko works his way through a case entangled with Chechen mafia, smugglers, and money launderers, the Soviet Union teeters on collapse.

The weakest of the three. It feels like Smith is trying to recapture the formula of Gorky Park but we've seen it before and it's not as successful. The final scene though where Renko, reunited with his lost love, awaits the anticipated Soviet attack on the dissidents at the White House (the legislative building in Russia) reclaims the story to an extent. 3 out of 5 stars. Though reading all three in a row may have left me jaded a bit too.

Started into these from a book box, bought at a yard sale, that's been sitting in our garage awhile. Not liking the movie I doubt I would have bought them if they hadn't been part of a box of other books I wanted. Glad to have read them now. After the original trilogy there have been another six books. I will probably order them at some point.

@Half Moon

If you haven't read Child 44 by Tom Rob Smith, I think you'd enjoy it. (I read Gorky Park years ago...and am a fan of Maxim Gorky as well.)

I know I read the two companion books in the series to Child 44, but I do not recall them being particularly noteworthy (to be kind). Child 44, however, is very good and stands on its own.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I just finished A Sailor of Austria by Joseph Biggins after seeing a recommendation by @Tamara on FB for the third book in the series The Two Headed Eagle. I’m reading the second book The Emperor’s Coloured Coat. It’s another winner!

I highly recommend it. It sometimes reminds me of Pat McManus or if James Herriot was a U Boat commander instead of a veterinarian.

A Sailor of Austria: In Which, Without Really Intending to, Otto Prohaska Becomes Official War Hero No. 27 of the Habsburg (The Otto Prohaska Novels). “ In this ironic, hilarious, and poignant story, Otto Prohaska is a submarine captain serving the almost-landlocked Austro-Hungarian Empire. He faces a host of unlikely circumstances, from petrol poisoning to exploding lavatories to trigger-happy Turks. All signs point to the total collapse of the bloated empire he serves, but Otto refuses to abandon the Habsburgs in their hour of need.”

The epilogue makes you think and there was a little dust in the air.
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 12-06-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I just finished A Sailor of Austria by Joseph Biggins after seeing a recommendation by @Tamara on FB for the third book in the series The Two Headed Eagle. I’m reading the second book The Emperor’s Coloured Coat. It’s another winner!

I highly recommend it. It sometimes reminds me of Pat McManus or if James Herriot was a U Boat commander instead of a veterinarian.
    I am legit sad that there will probably only ever be the four books in the series. Biggins has a knack for historical fiction that makes you care about both the protagonist and his world, and his tales weave enough fact into the fictional storyline that you find yourself frequently running to historical sources to see if a minor character or plot incident was real or not. Prohaska's like a more sympathetic Flashman. Probably the closest thing I've read has been Lindsay Davis's series of Marcus Didius Falco detective novels set in Vespasian's Rome.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Sounds interesting, though I have to admit I had trouble staying interested in the Flashman series and only made it through the first two or three books.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The Taking of K-129: How the CIA Used Howard Hughes to Steal a Russian Sub in the Most Daring Covert Operation in History by Josh Dean

It's not overly technical and it also has some coverage of the U-2 and SR-71. It goes a good insight into the challenges of trying to lift a submarine from a depth of three miles and the people involved in making it happen.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I just finished reading Fight Club. I’m not sure why I never picked it up but I enjoyed it. It’s been a long time since I watched the movie but I still read the book in Edward Norton’s voice.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Read The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms during November. Small Papa Hemingway kick to close out 2020.
    Try "Islands in The Stream" if you haven't yet.

--
    After posting the above I went over to search something and this was one of the ads.

I didn't know I had a first printing. Wouldn't sell it for 3 times the price and I always discard the jackets for hardcover books.

Name:  islands.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  11.2 KB
    Last edited by FNFAN; 12-06-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by MGW View Post
    I just finished reading Fight Club. I’m not sure why I never picked it up but I enjoyed it. It’s been a long time since I watched the movie but I still read the book in Edward Norton’s voice.
    I liked the movie, and read and liked the book. I then read ‘Choke,’ which is arguably a better book, and decided I didn’t like the author (Chuck Palahniuk) very much.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Read The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms during November. Small Papa Hemingway kick to close out 2020.

Currently reading For Whom the Bell Tolls interspersed with Shelby Foote’s Civil War trilogy.
    If you haven’t, make sure you make time for his short stories; I think they’re the best of what he did. ‘Hills Like White Elephants’ might be the best short story written by an American male, and ‘A Clean, Well-Lighted Place’ and ‘The Short, Happy Life of Francis McComber’ are first cut.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List