Page 151 of 233 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    I loved Blindsight.

The Neolithic vampires were fascinating and deeply frightening.

"Dread" is exactly the word. The utter isolation of the crew, the slow reveal of the opaque aliens and the rather horrifying psychological effects of hard radiation exposure

was one of the creepier reads ever.

Watts is no feel good author by any stretch.
    Yeah, that nails it. I need to read the second book. I really liked the vampire character.
    #RESIST

BLUF: This book is free this week on Kindle.

Heard a dude from work published a book and its free on Amazon Kindle this week. So I have NOT read it. And to be fair, I don't really know this guy too well.

I downloaded it and will probably read it when I finish my current book called Relentless Strike, The Secret History of JSOC. And I did say probably because it might be terrible. But its free.

https://www.amazon.com/Exposed-Engin...0712573&sr=8-1

All Secure by CSM Tom Satterly

Memoir of Delta Force Operator from Mogadishu through the GWOT.

Grim story of the relentless operational pace of Delta and the effects of PTSD in such a high pressure unit.

Serial wives, rampant alcoholism, living with multiple injuries to avoid being turned out of the Unit.

Unable to seek treatment for fear of being kicked out and masking the issues with risk taking, DUI, and pills. Losing touch with everything but your Team in the Unit.

Talks about the horrible emotional toll of collateral damage, losing friends to crippling wounds and death, and the grinding effect of unending nightmares from the

sheer terror of close combat repeated hundreds of times.

He lived over 20 years in the darkest, most dangerous world that almost no one knows anything about.

A troubling read that stayed with me for days afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, that nails it. I need to read the second book. I really liked the vampire character.
    I am hopeful for #2 after reading "Colonel" on the website.

"Rorschach" is my favorite character/eldrich location/embodiment of anti-humanity ever. It's sort of like a Necronomicon you can walk around in.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

I’m giving away a copy of The Cunning Man by Dave Butler and Aaron Ritchey in Karma if anyone is interested.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....g-Man-giveaway

“It’s the depths of the Depression, and a mining town in Utah is shut down. Something has awakened underground, and now a monster roams the tunnels. While contentious owners squabble, poor worker families go hungry. Along comes Hiram Woolley. Hiram is a man with mystical abilities derived from the commonsense application of Scots-Irish folk wisdom and German braucher magic. He possesses an arcane Bloodstone that allows him to see a lie the moment it is spoken.

Behind the played-out farms and failed businesses are demons, curses, sorcerers, and unatoned wrongs. Bags of groceries and carpentry won’t be enough this time.The job will take a man who has known sorrow. A man who has known war. A man of wisdom. A man of magic.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Just finished “The Spirit Catches You And You Fall Down” by Anne Fadiman. It’s a true story about the conflict of cultures between an American hospital staff and a Laotian Hmong refugee family about the care of a child with epilepsy. Everyone wants what’s best for the child but neither group understands the other’s views. There’s also a history of the Hmong role in the Vietnam war and the postwar refugee issues.

https://www.amazon.com/Spirit-Catche.../dp/0374533407

Site Supporter
    Just got Battleground by Jim Butcher - it's a Harry Dresden book and is totally awful. Butcher has fallen apart and puts out endless and pointless plot and fight scenes. Read the negatives on Amazon if you want more details. The positives are all fan boys, virtue signalers, or paid for trash/fakes.

Gun stuff - Harry has to go into a pointless battle with some monster and tools with his:

1. 50 caliber large revolver
    2. Coach gun with Dragon Breath rounds.

Comic book crap.

On the other hand, for the militar history buff:

Tower of Skulls = https://www.amazon.com/Tower-Skulls-.../dp/1324002107

The war in Asia starting in China and spreading into Burma, SE Asia and the Pacific. Insight into all the players that is realistic and detailed.

Might have mentioned - Nolan's The Allure of Battle. A military history from ancients to WWII, indicating how the idea of a short war and decisive battle is not what happens most of the time. Great use of language. This little phrase got my notice:

War is illusion atop horror.

Just got a book on artisanal cheese in America. A relaxing read.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I bought it on Kindle (it's $2.50 now) a long time ago, solid read, very good sci-fi.
    Both Blindsight and Echopraxia are two of my favorite "hard" sci-fi books. They are a real refreshing change from a lot of the repetitive first-contact books. It just feels like so much more of a believable "alien" first contact story.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Just got Battleground by Jim Butcher - it's a Harry Dresden book and is totally awful. Butcher has fallen apart and puts out endless and pointless plot and fight scenes. Read the negatives on Amazon if you want more details. The positives are all fan boys, virtue signalers, or paid for trash/fakes.

Gun stuff - Harry has to go into a pointless battle with some monster and tools with his:

1. 50 caliber large revolver
    2. Coach gun with Dragon Breath rounds.

Comic book crap.

On the other hand, for the militar history buff:

Tower of Skulls = https://www.amazon.com/Tower-Skulls-.../dp/1324002107

The war in Asia starting in China and spreading into Burma, SE Asia and the Pacific. Insight into all the players that is realistic and detailed.

Might have mentioned - Nolan's The Allure of Battle. A military history from ancients to WWII, indicating how the idea of a short war and decisive battle is not what happens most of the time. Great use of language. This little phrase got my notice:

War is illusion atop horror.

Just got a book on artisanal cheese in America. A relaxing read.

Better than Ambien?

Site Supporter
    Don't trust drugs like Ambien after a city councilman took it and ending up naked in his car at the 3:00 AM all night Burger King buying a Whopper. I don't have trouble sleeping.

I'm reading a book :Policing the Second Amendment: Guns, Law Enforcement, and the Politics of Race
    Jennifer Carlson

at the night stand. Just into it so I don't have a strong opinion yet.

User Tag List