Page 144 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Site Supporter
    Stealth by Stuart Woods. I usually like Stone Barrington books as mindless fluff but this one was flat out stupid. Stone and Dino failed to use common sense or reasonable tactics at every turn. First time, I skipped to the end just to get it over with. The books after Stealth were ok though. Everyone can slip up.

Had a fair amount of stupid shotgun stuff in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Edited to add: It was right-side up when I selected it!
    Total thread drift.

When I read your sig line, it took a few minutes to place it. It was interesting seeing "flounder" grow in that role.

And Vir did live long enough to see it.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I picked up an old copy of Dave Barry’s Only Travel Guide You’ll Ever Need. I’ve been reading a little bit at a time and thoroughly enjoying it.

I had forgotten that Miami’s official tourism slogan was “Maybe You Won’t Get Shot.”
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Just finished Masked Prey. I've read most of Sanfords books. Great author, writer and crafts a great plot. He's always been two faced about gun ownership i.e. OK for me but not the peasants. It's really obvious and obnoxious in masked prey. I'd say it very much detracted from the story, but it seems like that was the story or at least integral to the story.

Not sure if I'll bother with any more of his writing. I'm wondering if he needs to retire.
    Sorry, I didn't see this earlier, I'm back tracking looking for the title of a book I loaned my son.

It would have to get worse before I abandon ship. I've known officers and police administrators who felt that way.

Finished “Gideon the Ninth”. Good fun. Now cranking through the Bosch series, nine books in. Also read and enjoyed “God’s Middle Finger” and “Other Minds” that were recommended here.

For something completely different.

The Merkaba Rider. Weird west genre(Lovecraftian actually)

Picture...Clint Eastwood as a Jewish Essene Mystical...gunfighter.

He wears the curls and shawl decked out with scores of Solomonic talismans. He,uh, carries a Volcanic Arms pistol that is loaded with blessed bullets loaded

with salt to kill demons with.

So the Rider(that's all he's known as)leaves the brotherhood to fight for the North in the Civil War. When he comes back, he finds that his teacher and mentor went over to the

well, dark side.

The Rider gets voluntold to hunt him down and kill him.

Thereby hangs the tale. He hunts down the bad guy, which isn't hard because he leaves dead men and demon infested towns behind him, he slowly comes to realize that

his ex-mentor is involved in something waaay worse than Satanic practices. He is getting the band back together with The Old Ones.Dammit.

He actually visits the Adversary("I wish you wouldn't call me that") to get the bad, bad news.

Lucifer(chastened and insisting that he's now doing the Lord's work as the warden of Hell) gives him the scoop on what's up and sets him on the way to the ass end

of the back beyond.

That's the first 3 novels. I could go on...

One Bugle, No Drums by William Hopkins
    Breakout by Martin Russ
    The first book was written by the commander of a Roanoke, Virginia reserve unit recalled on short notice for the Chosin reservoir.
    Some of those youngsters got their recruit training on board ship. They had no winter clothing.

Martin Russ served in Korea during the Chosin campaign and describes the larger conflict from both Marine Corps and Army experiences,
    including the debacle of Task Force Faith. He speaks to the true villain in all this, the Army two star who ignored intel from the Corps that the Chicoms had 260000 men ready to strike if Dugout Doug advanced beyond the 38th parallel.

And the Marine Corps uses manuals to train Marines, not comic books, since good reading comprehension is required for enlistment.
    S/F,
    Shumba, former sergeant USMCR 1974-1977

Site Supporter
    I recently finished the currently completed books of the "Chivalry" series (I think maybe one or two more arecplanned) by Christian Cameron. It follows William Gold, an English routier in France in the 100 years war, and later a mercenary in Italy. He is technically a historical character, as his name shows up in a few documents, but the series is obviously a work of fiction. The first book is "The Ill-Made Knight".

There's a few things I really liked about this series.

1.) The author knows what he's talking about. Hes a military veteran and a long time re-enactor, equestrian, and practitioner of European martial arts, so when the character discusses things like how armor fits or how much work is required to keep gear in good shape on campaign, it feels very true.

2.) The main moral struggle and area of character development is the morality of a warrior in a war. This is less about "is war moral?" and more about "what limitations should warriors have on their actions?" If you know anything about the 100 years war, you know it was truly awful, and his portrayal doesn't flinch from the events, it doesn't absolve the participants of their evil acts, but it also doesn't depend that the morality of the 2000s should be the morality of the 1300s. It threads a pretty good needle in this respect.

3.) The actions scenes are great.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Finished “Gideon the Ninth”. Good fun. Now cranking through the Bosch series, nine books in. Also read and enjoyed “God’s Middle Finger” and “Other Minds” that were recommended here.
    The sequel to Gideon, Harrow the Ninth, has been out a couple weeks. About a hundred pages in so far. A little uneven but liking it so far. Not quite as good as Gideon to this point but 80% of the book left to go.

User Tag List