Page 135 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3585125133134135136137145185 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,350 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    thank you. I’ll make my way through some of these for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Dingo Firestorm is AWESOME especially if you have an interest in aviation at all.

Baxter's Bush War Rhodesia is a tad dry, but it's short and good overview of the conflict in case you're not already familiar with it.

Shadows of a Forgotten Past is mostly good and the best part about it is the author has experience in a lot of different units, iirc British and Rhodie SAS, RLI, Selous Scouts and SADF Recces.

Handful of Hard Men is great and especially eye opening when it talks about the history of ZANU and ZAPU as well as the political machinations, it also has full citations which is nice

Rainbows End by Lauren St James if you want a non-military perspective, it's memoirs so not much actual context.

Also not Bush War but Koevoet! is by an American journalist tagging along with a South African CT unit in Namibia and is very good.

Site Supporter
    QUESTION:

Not a recommendation, but I think this might still be an appropriate thread for this post.
    I’m looking for opinions, though if somebody has an authoritative answer that would be great as well.
    Question:
    In my next novel, a body is found with an arrow in its back. Several times I have characters talk about him having been shot with a “bow and arrow.”
    It occurs to me that I wouldn’t talk about somebody being shot with a "gun and bullet." Just wondering what the consensus is on the correct terminology.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    QUESTION:

Not a recommendation, but I think this might still be an appropriate thread for this post.
    I’m looking for opinions, though if somebody has an authoritative answer that would be great as well.
    Question:
    In my next novel, a body is found with an arrow in its back. Several times I have characters talk about him having been shot with a “bow and arrow.”
    It occurs to me that I wouldn’t talk about somebody being shot with a "gun and bullet." Just wondering what the consensus is on the correct terminology.
    Shot with a bow would suffice, imho. The arrow is implied.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    QUESTION:

Question:
    I'm a traditional archer, so if you need any help with that, hit me up.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I just finished The Wreck of the Memphis, by Edward Beach. It was written in the 1960s, when a number of survivors of the disaster were still alive. The descriptions of what happened in the engineering spaces of the coal-fired warship were harrowing.

The author was a decorated submarine officer as well as the son of the captain of the USS Memphis. The author commanded USS Triton on the first submerged circumnavigation of the Earth.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I just finished The Wreck of the Memphis, by Edward Beach. It was written in the 1960s, when a number of survivors of the disaster were still alive. The descriptions of what happened in the engineering spaces of the coal-fired warship were harrowing.

The author was a decorated submarine officer as well as the son of the captain of the USS Memphis. The author commanded USS Triton on the first submerged circumnavigation of the Earth.
    I'll have to check it out!

I read a book a few years ago, but don't remember the title, about the Battle of Jutland. The descriptions of the engine room action on the sinking ships were pretty nasty. Engineering spaces aren't safe spaces even today but especially so on those old steam ships. Massive sized open piston rods, open gears, yada, and all ready to chew sailors into pieces plus add in steam leaks... ugh.

Beach is a good author. If you haven't already, you should take a look at Run Silent, Run Deep. WW2 fiction about submarines in the Pacific. First book in a trilogy he wrote and the best of the three.

Sorry if this has been mentioned; I only read this thread when I need more reading material, and I don't wish to right now and build a bigger backlog.

Finished Savage Son, by Jack Carr. If you liked his others, you will like this one. Former SEAL continues his complicated quest of revenge.

Started I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes, where a former spook gets involved in a complex murder investigation in NYC. Good so far.

Started Fall, or Dodge in Hell, by Neal Stephenson. Haven't finished it yet, and put it to the side, a rarity for me. Drags too much for my liking in the middle, and I've crushed every single other book he's written, with the exception of the historical fiction series about halfway through the second book, when i felt it started to drag. I finished the series, but found too much of it just boring.

Started Agency, by William Gibson. Very interesting, as nearly all his novels are. Weird and yet insightful to our present world.

Nearly finished with Bob Baer's The Perfect Kill, 21 Laws for Assassins. Not as gripping as I thought it would be. Could be half the length, easy, if you approach it as a mindset/psychology/philosophy book, similar to how many people would go to The Book of 5 Rings or The Art of War. Lol, maybe that's my fault. Reads more as a memoir of a personally important episode in Baer's life that looms large for him, and is somewhat interesting from a historical perspective, but not very engaging, IMO, as a story.

Reskimmed Combat Strength Training by Pat Mac, which is kinda cool if you really needed a workout program and loved the persona. I don't need the program, even if I get a kick out of him and find him inspiring. I suppose I was treated to lots of photos of him tan, sweaty and shirtless. I really liked his Sentinel book, and think it's good book to buy, read through once even if you know much of the same, and pass it on to someone else less familiar.

Gonna shortly start The Eagle and The Dragon, by Chris Duffin, the mind and muscles behind Kabuki Strength.

Question: Anyone have any good books on "leadership?" I wanted to read something interesting with management and leadership, potentially in a military context, since I need to fulfill some education credits and I might as well have something interesting to read...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Question: Anyone have any good books on "leadership?" I wanted to read something interesting with management and leadership, potentially in a military context, since I need to fulfill some education credits and I might as well have something interesting to read...
    Jocko Willink

https://www.amazon.com/Collection-Ow.../dp/9123836660

User Tag List