Page 134 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’m reading A Savage War of Peace (Algeria 1954-1962), by Alistair Horne, as a way to lean more about a war I’m not very familiar with and before I get to Larteguy’s Praetorians. It’s excellent thus far.

I’d like to learn more about the Rhodesian Bush War(s) / Second Chimurenga as well. Any suggestions? Dingo Firestorm is one book I’ve come across that looks good.

Banned
    Name:  3AE8B0EC-DF58-4838-9169-71D41E1B33D8.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  36.4 KB

A substantial, well written, thorough, clear-eyed account of this savage conflict’s causes, process, and consequences. I really didn’t know much about it going in, and much of it is shocking as well as saddening in the usual way accounts of warfare are. This, along with the two Fall books I read in the last few weeks, will give me a better background when I read Larteguy’s The Centurions and The Praetorians. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Name:  3AE8B0EC-DF58-4838-9169-71D41E1B33D8.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  36.4 KB

A substantial, well written, thorough, clear-eyed account of this savage conflict’s causes, process, and consequences. I really didn’t know much about it going in, and much of it is shocking as well as saddening in the usual way accounts of warfare are. This, along with the two Fall books I read in the last few weeks, will give me a better background when I read Larteguy’s The Centurions and The Praetorians. Highly recommended.
    Not cool, posting a review like that, purchased
    #RESIST

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not cool, posting a review like that, purchased
    It can be dry, but if you want to know more about this war, it delivers in spades. The audible narration is excellent - I checked the ebook out from my library and sprang for the audible on my nickel, so could switch between reading and listening.

Banned
    Name:  847F86FB-2FC7-41DC-AADC-333755AF055C.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  43.3 KB

Definitely the best of the three SEAL-written GWOT books I’ve read this year. Lacz seems the brightest of the three, the chest pounding and braggadocio is snubbed down some, and overall the level of detail is high, and the narrative structure better done.

My library had this on audio and ebook form. It really is a great library system.

Site Supporter
    The World of the Battleship: The Design and Careers of Capital Ships of the World's Navies, 1900-1950
    by Bruce Taylor | Oct 15, 2018

For naval history fans. It documents interesting ships from navies big and small. Not the just classic ships but relatively obscure ones. One of my hobbies, since I took an advanced military history elective in college and wrote my paper on the 1921 Naval Limitation treaties. Prof was a major general / PhD who was head of the Hungarian Military Academy and had to flee in 1956 after fighting the Russians. Great course.

Been reading that sort of thing since. Going through Norman Friedman's books on navies, weapons, etc. Found out that the public library had some - saved me a buck (well, when they reopen).

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The World of the Battleship: The Design and Careers of Capital Ships of the World's Navies, 1900-1950
    by Bruce Taylor | Oct 15, 2018

For naval history fans. It documents interesting ships from navies big and small. Not the just classic ships but relatively obscure ones. One of my hobbies, since I took an advanced military history elective in college and wrote my paper on the 1921 Naval Limitation treaties. Prof was a major general / PhD who was head of the Hungarian Military Academy and had to flee in 1956 after fighting the Russians. Great course.

Been reading that sort of thing since. Going through Norman Friedman's books on navies, weapons, etc. Found out that the public library had some - saved me a buck (well, when they reopen).
    I assume yes, given your interest in this book, but have you read Neptune's Inferno? It's my first recommendation to anyone who ever reveals they've read any naval nonfiction.

Site Supporter
    No, thanks - I'm ordering it. This one is good - Storm Over Leyte by Prados.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I’d like to learn more about the Rhodesian Bush War(s) / Second Chimurenga as well. Any suggestions? Dingo Firestorm is one book I’ve come across that looks good.
    Dingo Firestorm is AWESOME especially if you have an interest in aviation at all.

Baxter's Bush War Rhodesia is a tad dry, but it's short and good overview of the conflict in case you're not already familiar with it.

Shadows of a Forgotten Past is mostly good and the best part about it is the author has experience in a lot of different units, iirc British and Rhodie SAS, RLI, Selous Scouts and SADF Recces.

Handful of Hard Men is great and especially eye opening when it talks about the history of ZANU and ZAPU as well as the political machinations, it also has full citations which is nice

Rainbows End by Lauren St James if you want a non-military perspective, it's memoirs so not much actual context.

Also not Bush War but Koevoet! is by an American journalist tagging along with a South African CT unit in Namibia and is very good.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Dingo Firestorm is AWESOME especially if you have an interest in aviation at all.

Baxter's Bush War Rhodesia is a tad dry, but it's short and good overview of the conflict in case you're not already familiar with it.

Shadows of a Forgotten Past is mostly good and the best part about it is the author has experience in a lot of different units, iirc British and Rhodie SAS, RLI, Selous Scouts and SADF Recces.

Handful of Hard Men is great and especially eye opening when it talks about the history of ZANU and ZAPU as well as the political machinations, it also has full citations which is nice

Rainbows End by Lauren St James if you want a non-military perspective, it's memoirs so not much actual context.

Also not Bush War but Koevoet! is by an American journalist tagging along with a South African CT unit in Namibia and is very good.
    Several there that I'll want to check out, myself, but I can second Koevoet!: a good read.

User Tag List