Page 133 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 2346

Thread: Book Recommendations

Tanker Pilot: Lessons from the cockpit - great book written by a former USAF tanker pilot. Gives a different perspective compared to other books written by fighter/attack pilots.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Very, Very, Very Dreadful: The Influenza Pandemic of 1918.

Pretty informative and an easy read. The book predates the Covid-19 pandemic by two years. It's selling well enough that Amazon's not offering any discount.

Other than two facts (they didn't know what viruses were and the Great War was raging), there are a lot of parallels between that pandemic and this one, especially with regard to political vs. public health issues.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Very, Very, Very Dreadful: The Influenza Pandemic of 1918.

Pretty informative and an easy read. The book predates the Covid-19 pandemic by two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    He's one for three with me.

Loved "The Dog Stars".
    Thanks for the recommendations, just ordered both from Book Depository. Along with Tom Given's book.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    He's one for three with me.

Loved "The Dog Stars". Hated "The Painter". And I thought "The River" could have been, should have been much better.
    If you are so inclined, the audiobook of The Dog Stars is excellent. Read the book a few years ago and then bought the audiobook-the narrator is terrific. Usually, if you have the Kindle book, the audiobook is often discounted.

On a tangent, Luke Daniels narrates Marko Kloos' Frontlines and Palladium series. All are excellent (the books and the recordings).

Ray Porter is also amazing. He's done a ton of books by Jack Carr, Peter Clines, and I believe all the Robert Crais Elvis Cole/Joe Pike books.

Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    If you are so inclined, the audiobook of The Dog Stars is excellent. Read the book a few years ago and then bought the audiobook-the narrator is terrific. Usually, if you have the Kindle book, the audiobook is often discounted.

On a tangent, Luke Daniels narrates Marko Kloos' Frontlines and Palladium series. All are excellent (the books and the recordings).

Ray Porter is also amazing. He's done a ton of books by Jack Carr, Peter Clines, and I believe all the Robert Crais Elvis Cole/Joe Pike books.
    If you are replying to me, (since you quoted me), I am not a fan of the audiobook format. Just an old school reader. I'm sure it's great for many, though and thank you for thinking to reach out about it.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I've been thinking about rereading "God's Middle Finger" by Richard Grant because it's interesting and hilarious in spots.

God's Middle Finger: Into the Lawless Heart of the Sierra Madre > https://smile.amazon.com/Gods-Middle...7662768&sr=8-1

A Brit decides to explore the Sierra Madre and gets into a bit of trouble. He encounters some of Mexico's quirks that PC culture won't let us talk about anymore, but he felt free to talk about them.

LE members in particular may appreciate the view of the Narcos and the lawlessness from that side of the border. Even the Aztecs avoided the Sierra Madre, it's always been wacky up there.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Name:  ADA98F42-4ABE-477A-A7E8-B7ACE18F2D77.jpeg
Views: 275
Size:  34.2 KB

An outstanding, no-nonsense military study of the lead up to the battle, the battle, and the sequelae. If one is a student of the conflicts in Vietnam, it’s a must read. Just an excellent book. I appreciate the recommendation up thread.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Name:  4F2FD981-C52F-4D98-8A01-A37D289F8BA4.jpeg
Views: 240
Size:  33.1 KB

I liked it well enough, but it often felt a little bit contrived and self referential. Not quite the magic of the Lonesome Dove books, but a good palate cleanser between heavier reads, with a fairly likable female protagonist.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I downloaded A Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe. It's about the bubonic plague in London in 1665.

I'm maybe 5% into it. Some of the things he discussed, such as deciding whether to stay in the city or flee to the countryside, ring eerily true today.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I really liked The Cunning Man by DJ (Dave) Butler and Aaron Ritchey. Here’s a synopsis. “It’s the depths of the Depression, and a mining town in Utah is shut down. Something has awakened underground, and now a monster roams the tunnels. Along comes Hiram Woolley. Hiram is a man with mystical abilities derived from the commonsense application of Scot-Irish folk wisdom and German Braucher magic”.

I really liked it. It has a Silver John feel to it.

Dave writes the Witchy series which I really like. I was fortunate to win an autographed copy of Witchy Eye. It’s the first book in the series.

He also writes the Rock Band Fights Evil series.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List