Page 131 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I just got this in today:

Name:  fwj book.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  47.7 KB

I'm looking forward to reading it as he sold me his Model 696 a few years before he had his stroke and subsequently passed. I knew him through his blog, which often was more about farming than shooting.

Here's the link. It came from a 3rd party, who included a nice note asking that I try to stay safe during this pandemic.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Realizing I forgot to spell it out: In Deadly Combat, Gottlob Herbert Bidermann

My copy is in the same spot, next to Forgotten Soldier. IMHO, more substance from Biderman, more style in Sajer. Both worth the read.

Again, not to distract from the literary, but:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypn7UJvHNtM

One of the actions he describes is taking on three tanks, in succession, with the 37mm—and watching his first hit ricochet off. Next shot was at 40 meters.
    I first read The Forgotten Soldier in late grade school after fortunately finding it in the school library. I read it once a year. One thing I always remember is Sajer writing one should read stories like his outside in a freezing rain and not in an armchair by the fire. I agree with your take of the two books.

I also like Sniper on the Eastern Front written by Albrecht Wacker about Sepp Allerberger.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Currently reading:
    Attachment 51952

If you're a MacArthur fan dont read it
    Currently reading The Coldest Winter, about the Korean War. Same thing, it spends like 100 pages talking about how much of an actual shit MacArthur was
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Currently reading The Coldest Winter, about the Korean War. Same thing, it spends like 100 pages talking about how much of an actual shit MacArthur was
    If you read much about the Korean War, that is a consistent theme.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    If you read much about the Korean War, that is a consistent theme.
    Or if you personally knew combat soldiers who were in Korea fighting in November 1950. To be fair, my dad always gave him credit for Inchon.

Site Supporter
    War's Edge: Dead Heros Military Sci-fi by Ryan W. Aslesen. The author is a former Marine Officer and currently a Security Consultant.
    The only other books I've read in the Genre are "Starship Troopers," and the "Frontline" series by Marko Kloos.
    It starts out with a guy going through boot camp on one thread, while you see the rest of the system getting ready for conflict. There is a grittiness to the writing that feels authentic to this Civi, though the bootcamp he describes seems more like hell week of seal training. I'd love to know what some of you vets think of it.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Name:  675545B4-0784-464B-9903-A9073562952F.jpeg
Views: 244
Size:  56.8 KB

I finished this just now. Of course the battle of Thermopylae is a stirring tale, often told. In that, this delivers. Still, I’m somewhat of mixed mind on this. It’s vivid and the details of every day life of this time period help make it come alive. The frequent references to steel rather than iron seem jarring for events set in 480 bc, and the well intentioned but clunky gender essentialism doesn’t land well for me.

The River, by Peter Heller.

The story of two friends on a back-country canoe trip in Alaska. They encounter a huge forest fire and another traveler who happens to be homicidal. Good character development and an excellent plot. As a bonus, the author pays attention to detail, including fly fishing, canoes, and rifles. Damn good.

https://www.amazon.com/River-novel-P.../dp/0525521879

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    A lot of Aussie books about WWII also go into what a terrible person Dugout Doug was.

Then there's Ike's rather caustic opinion. "I just can't understand how such a damn fool could have gotten to be a general."- Ann Whitman Diary, Dec.4,1954
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A lot of Aussie books about WWII also go into what a terrible person Dugout Doug was.

Then there's Ike's rather caustic opinion. "I just can't understand how such a damn fool could have gotten to be a general."- Ann Whitman Diary, Dec.4,1954
    If you ever read the 'men's harlequin romance' novels of W.E.B. Griffin, specifically The Corps series, the machinations of MacArthur and Charles A. Willoughby are featured throughout. I kind of figured that some of the things were loosely based on fact.

User Tag List