Page 125 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Attachment 49707

Finished this just now. It’s still a popular library book with a long wait list. It has earned its place in the study of warfare, to be sure, especially the study of WW1, but the nationalistic clap trap in the end turns the stomach when one sees the fruits of such attitudes over the last 100 years and more.
    It’s a free read with Kindle Unlimited and $4.99 on Kindle. I bought it. It’s translated from the 1929 edition.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 03-10-2020 at 12:22 AM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

So I was reading Mark MacYoung’s book Violence, Blunders, and Fractured Jaws the other day. He mentioned the Burke series by Andrew Vachss several times and said it was one of the most realistic portrayals of the street he’d read. So I bought Flood and Strega. I’m hooked now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    So I was reading Mark MacYoung’s book Violence, Blunders, and Fractured Jaws the other day. He mentioned the Burke series by Andrew Vachss several times and said it was one of the most realistic portrayals of the street he’d read. So I bought Flood and Strega. I’m hooked now.
    Those are good books. I kind of dropped out of the series at a time in my life when I needed a break from unrelenting darkness, but maybe I should dip my toe back in.

Vachss is an interesting character.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    While I enjoyed and was humbled by his book on the Leyte Gulf, I felt it was a bit too meandering in its presentation which could have been tightened up some.

That said, it was a worthwhile and important read as part of our history.
    Just now finishing up his one on Leyte Gulf.

It's the most long-winded one of the three of his that I have read.

Guadalcanal best, Fleet at Flood Tide second, Leyte 3rd.

cc

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The Pioneers, by David McCullough. It’s about the settling of Ohio, focusing on Marietta, OH.
    Finally got around to reading this. Kind of a slog. I found it pretty boring overall.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I met Vachss a couple of times, at book readings, and his ex-wife (during my time in law school). He's a very interesting and single minded guy.

I have very much enjoyed the books but they are not for the light hearted.

He has a couple of other series that are worth a look too.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I really dig on some Vachss...Shella remains my stand alone favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I really dig on some Vachss...Shella remains my stand alone favorite.
    And I bought it. It sounds great.

Burke reminds me of the Repairman Jack books by F Paul Wilson (which is another great series) but much darker and no supernatural.

And I bought it. It sounds great.
    It is.

A totally different type of story but exactly the same type of world.

You will enjoy it, I believe.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List