Page 119 of 234 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 2336

Thread: Book Recommendations

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam https://www.amazon.com/Atheist-Manif...dp/B0052ZO7BQ/

If you'd like to know how a communist attacks the concept of religion (Abrahamic religion only, mind you) and would like a well written book, this is actually worth the read. Don't be too picky about facts, mind you, and intellectual honestly is a bit short. Of course the book is going to be biased, the title is what you get, and I expected some stripping of context or twisting. The Bible blesses cooking with human feces, he says. He doesn't explain the symbolism of Ezekiel nor explain the fact that burning animal feces for fuel is a matter of necessity in many times and places, and that this was a reference to extreme deprivation yet to come when even cattle's dung would be unavailable. The protestant reader might be surprised to find he's not really a Christian since he doesn't believe in papal infallibility, because something about picking and choosing which Bible verses you'll believe. Similarly, somehow the Ayatollah speaks for all Muslims because reasons that aren't really fleshed out. Some things are strictly wrong. He states that all three holy books state Eve gave Adam the fruit of original sin and this is important to him because it helps him "prove" the misogyny he sees as inherent to the religions. This isn't the case for the Qu'ran. 30 seconds with Google will confirm that Adam and Eve were tempted by Satan together and elected to disobey God together. https://quran.com/7/20 I noted others that were incorrect for the Bible as well, and I suspect someone with better familiarity with the Torah would find similar there as well. On a side note, prohibitions on prostitution and pagan ritual sex cults while celebrating mothers and wives are further "proof" of misogyny. That's an argument that's not really fleshed out, but I guess I'm just too brainwashed by Judeo-Christian thinking to celebrate prostitution and ritual orgies as "feminism".

He, of course, goes to lengths to point out the evils done in the name of religion or by the religious to prove religion is bad (again, only Abrahamic religions though). There's no questioning of what it means when atheists do the same acts. It must also be puzzling to him how a time and place like feudal Japan wasn't an idyllic land without Abraham and his ilk polluting the population's thoughts. 9/11 and the resulting GWOT is simply Jews+Christians vs Muslims. He must be puzzled as to why we have Muslim allies, and must be truly puzzled why American Indians fought amongst themselves or why China, Korea, and Japan haven't always been besties who just used their words to hash out differences.

Perhaps my most “WTF” moment was his railing against the concept of free will and punishment by secular authorities. Apparently we shouldn’t jail child molesters because they lack free will or something. In his reality we just throw them in jail to get raped then let them out without treatment.

Atheists aren't atheistic enough if they still embrace Judeo-Christian values. The following quote is reference France, post-Revolution through modernity: "Moral handbooks in republican schools preach the excellence of the family, the virtues of work, the need to respect one's parents and honor the old, the rightness of nationalism, patriotic obligations, mistrust of the flesh, the body and passions, the beauty of manual labor, submission to political authority, duty to the poor. What could the village priest obect to here? Work, Family, Fatherland: the holy secular Trinity of Christendom...and of Vichy France.

Finally, despite the name the author doesn't spend much time at all dealing with the concept of the existence or non-existence of God. He just assumes it to be fact and doesn't appear to have much worry about it. Which is fine, mind you, but the title sort of led me to expect a bit more meat on that particular bone would be gnawed at.

I did no research on the author until after finishing the book, but he seems quite enthralled with Marx. A cursory bit of research shows he is some sort of anarchist-communist hybrid, which I'm not even sure how to begin to fathom. On one hand bashing the idea that even the family should be the most basic unit, only the individual matters but then backing a communist political candidate seems like shouting the merits of veganism while handing out t-bones to the masses. I am 100% certain you can be a moral and just person without believing in any given concept of God, but I frankly doubt I would find the author to be someone I'd consider moral and ethical. Not because of atheism, but because pedophile defense and communism.

Now, what I will agree with the author on is you should question your own beliefs and certainly not simply accept faith like a hand-me-down sweater. He seems to have no idea that religions aren't monolithic and we all just believe what the Pope or Ayatollah (?) tell us, but the basic lesson still applies. And that yes, humans do shitty things to each other. I think that's more in spite of religion then because of it, but again the lesson holds.

A point by point rebuttal would be much to lengthy and beyond the scope of this thread, so I'll just sum up with a recommendation. If you believe in a literal interpretation of your holy book of choice and have no interest in an opposing view, this book will likely only be a source of anger or boredom for you. If you're not threatened by a systematic attack on what you probably don't believe to begin with (if you don't believe two of every animal literally rode around in an ark to escape a global flood) and are already familiar with the Council of Nicaea, there's probably nothing in here that's going to get you too worked up or "de-convert" you. It is a technically well-written, eloquent, and informative read *if* you don't mind doing some fact checking here and there and want to see how "the other side" characterizes the argument.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 01-10-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

^^^^Nobody knows nothin'. What's the point of getting worked up?
    There's nothing civil about this war.

An Alaska Legend

Read a short book by Velma Wallis called Two Old Women.

In the legend two native women were abandoned by their tribe during
    a winter with lots of weather and not enough food.
    They survived the event. Lots of ways to make the most of the land you
    find yourself on mentioned, although it is not a survival book per se.

Out of my usual reading area but my wife found it somewhere and, since I was
    done with a couple of other books, I picked it up and enjoyed it.

Site Supporter
    Blood Feud - a Sunny Randall follow up to Parker's series by Lupica.

Don't - it is terrible. The Amazon reviews have it nailed (outside of the sycophant, paid for 5 star reviews). Total POS.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I'm reading Checkpoint Charlie by Iain MacGregor about mostly the military in West Berlin
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I finished the "Powder Mage" trilogy. Book 1 here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092XHPIG...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

It's good and the second and third book were better than the first. The author matured a bit as an author, I think, and it wasn't quite so samey-same as Brandon Sanderson's work. As I mentioned after reading the first one, it's a gunpowder fantasy with a few interesting elements. I like the powder magic, where the mage can manipulate the energy in black powder to strengthen themselves or to do marksmanship feats like extending range or nudging bullets in flight, steal the energy from an enemy's charge leaving them with a fouled musket, etc.

All in all, good but not great. A perfect reasonable fantasy read but not a standout performance...and perhaps just a little too much like a retread of Mistborn for me. I get this author was Sanderson's student and obviously heavily influenced by his work, but I hope he branches out a bit more in the second trilogy (which is also out and complete but I think it'll be a bit before I pursue it.)

I started Malcolm Gladwell's Talking to Strangers as my next book: https://www.amazon.com/Talking-Stran...dp/B07NDKVWZW/

Whoever recommended Into the Earth by Jill Heinerth thank you very much! It opened a fantastic view of the beauty and dangers of cave diving. I highly recommend it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I just finished this, having read the prior two books as noted upthread. It was outstanding and one I may buy to keep, which is rare. Few little tangles with relationship details that aren’t consistent with the details from the chronologically earlier books, but stil. It is an excellent character study with believable and memorable male and female characters, and it really evokes a time and place. A long read but a fine one.

Name:  948B7A15-4B56-4C2F-BA40-657DD0F6CE03.jpeg
Views: 208
Size:  34.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I started Malcolm Gladwell's Talking to Strangers as my next book: https://www.amazon.com/Talking-Stran...dp/B07NDKVWZW/
    I found this to be a worthwhile read. I did have a few nitpicks with the way he presented a few things about policing and investigation, but I see how an outsider would make the conclusions he did. For example, having experienced investigators watch videos of people lying and then having them guess truth/lie isn't showing what he thinks it shows. Of course experienced investigators get 100% of the people showing lie behaviors as liars, they are trained to spot those behaviors. Of course they miss the liars not displaying those signs...but not because they suck at detecting lies, rather they haven't had time to establish a baseline. There's a reason interview/interrogation starts off with a bunch of unrelated innocuous questioning. If you don't look me in the eye telling me what your middle name is, I don't expect that to be a sign of a lie later. He also mentions Reid Technique and has a very shallow understanding of it, IMO. Despite the title, he also occasionally uses examples of people interacting with people they obviously know and then explaining away their suspicions to maintain social compatibility which, to me, should be a separate topic and not intermingled. It kind of muddies the water in a few places in the book.

Now, zooming out a little bit I think the information is valuable to anyone who routinely has to talk to people they don't know. That is to say, nearly everyone. If you happen to know a cop, you'll probably walk away with a bit more understanding of why we are like we are and why we don't think like you think, generally. If you're a cop, you'll be reminded of why everyone around you doesn't see the incredibly obvious things you routinely see.

One of the most unexpected things I got from the book was research on alcohol use and the old "removes inhibitions" isn't really the case. He makes a very compelling argument that a much better explanation is your brain gets myopia. You become incredibly focused on the very short term and can't see the long term at all.

Quick, easy read and worth the time invested. I think I'm going to recommend it to my shift at roll call tomorrow.

Site Supporter
    For the last week I've been reading Robert Pirsig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. I've been told to read it many, many times and finally picked up a $1.00 copy at a thrift store. Parts of it are honestly a little beyond me (thankful for the little bit of Philosophy I took a couple decades ago), but I'm back in my comfort zone now about 3/4 of the way through. I can often pick up a book and read a couple hundred pages at a sitting, but not this one. It's not light reading.

It's not really about fixing a motorcycle at all, spoiler alert,in case there's another human being out there that hasn't read it. But I sure do wish I'd have read this in college.

User Tag List