Page 117 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167217 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Finished this today, and read it while also watching The Pacific miniseries, which has many of these characters and stories. A worthy read, obviously. The last chapter was a bit schmaltzy, but overall, a good book.

Name:  5CDF8993-DC72-4E08-BE0B-72DE02D67B04.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  51.6 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I finished the second book of the Powder Mage trilogy. I found it better than the first, although there were a couple instances where I had to just give a "come the fuck on" at some overused plot device. I'll see it through with the third and final book, and it *is* an enjoyable light read despite the few bobbles here and there.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Malazan Book of the Fallen, it's been a while since I've read them, but I highly recommend. I've seen quite a few fantasy books mentioned here. (Currently reading and enjoying the Lightbringer series).

Put your reading pants on if you decide to tackle Malazan, it's 10 long books with a lot of main characters. It can be hard to start as the author doesn't really throw you any bones so you'll definitely spend alot of the firs book trying to understand what is going in. Then it shifts to different main characters for the 2nd and again for the 3rd before coming back to familiar faces. Highly recommend it though, favorite fantasy series I've read.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    Malazan Book of the Fallen, it's been a while since I've read them, but I highly recommend. I've seen quite a few fantasy books mentioned here. (Currently reading and enjoying the Lightbringer series).

Put your reading pants on if you decide to tackle Malazan, it's 10 long books with a lot of main characters. It can be hard to start as the author doesn't really throw you any bones so you'll definitely spend alot of the firs book trying to understand what is going in. Then it shifts to different main characters for the 2nd and again for the 3rd before coming back to familiar faces. Highly recommend it though, favorite fantasy series I've read.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Totally agree with everything you said... Takes some real effort but so totally worth it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.amazon.com/Love-Thy-Neig...dp/0525577203/

Love Thy Neighbor: A Muslim Doctor's Struggle for Home in Rural America

I'm relatively certain most here will take issue with his politics. He's virulently anti-Trump and pro-Hillary. I think many Trump supporters gloss over his impact with his early talks on things like a Muslim registry, but I remember the fear from the Muslim community pretty vividly. I personally don't find that a reason to embrace Hillary, but I'm not nearly as liberal as the author is. Even if you disagree with him on literally everything, I think it's a good look at *why* he believes what he believes. If you can't stand criticism of Trump you'll likely find the first half of the book tough to get through. It does get better, though, and I thing it does show the ebb and flow of the author's anger.

The author chucks in mentions of his side business for weight loss A LOT. Like I get it, you've mentioned your weight loss business. Fat people who are interested are now aware. Stop freaking shoe-horning it in. Tell the story. I found it a bit annoying in an otherwise well presented book.

I certainly don't agree with all the author's politics or conclusions, although I largely concur with his view of Islam and what it means to be Muslim. I think it's an interesting, perhaps even an important, read in the face of the continuing divisiveness in this nation.

I had already decided to read some atheist material as my next book. Atheism: The Case Against God is, I think, available at the moment. This is not in response to the above book, mind you, just a conscious decision to try and read more material I suspect I won't agree with. I mean, perhaps I'll "de-convert" but I suspect I won't.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    If you want to read something a bit more rigorous, J L Mackie’s The Miracle of Theism remains, old as it is, a better read imo.

Looking for good medieval period fare--and a few random reviews...

I recently finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Really enjoyed the book, and was intrigued by the rendering of medieval life--a period I have never really read much about since grade school. Would love to hear your recommendations for a period novel/historical fiction/compelling non-fiction which elucidates more about this period. Am not --at all-- interested in fantasy/dragons/etc.

Also, for what it's worth--I recently finished Norco '80, which detailed perhaps the most infamous modern bank robbery (though the N. Hollywood shoutout may be better remembered). I grew up near there so there is definitely some accurate and interesting local color. the story is pretty compelling and complete, even though the author was not careful with the gun stuff.

I'm currently listening to Samurai! on Audible, which is the story of one of the top Japanese aces in WW2. Very interesting story, but the narrator is HORRIBLE--by far the worst I have encountered. If the story was fictional or less interesting I would have given up. Did I mention--he's horrible?! Also interested in your recommendations for fighter pilot memoirs, heavy on the fighter pilot. I recently read Pappy Boyingtons's memoir which was interesting, but relatively short on the dogfighting specifics. Also, if you haven't (re)read To Kill a Mockingbird recently, do it.

The German Aces Speak, volumes I and II.

Adolf Galland's memoir is also good.

Chuck Yeager's book is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Try Not a Good Day to Die by Sean Naylor if you want to read more about Operation Anaconda.
    That's a good one, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dogcaller View Post
    I recently finished Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Really enjoyed the book, and was intrigued by the rendering of medieval life--a period I have never really read much about since grade school. Would love to hear your recommendations for a period novel/historical fiction/compelling non-fiction which elucidates more about this period. Am not --at all-- interested in fantasy/dragons/etc.
    Barbara Tuchman's "A Distant Mirror" is pretty interesting history of the 14th century, if a bit dated.
    Last edited by Joe in PNG; 01-05-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List