Page 107 of 233 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 2322

Thread: Book Recommendations

Just finished The Arsenal Of Democracy by A.J. Baime. Subtitle is "FDR, Detroit, And An Epic Quest To Arm
    An America At War".

About the successful effort to arm the U.S. forces with four-engine B24 Liberator bombers. Other things that
    were built in Detroit, and environs, were aircraft engines, bomb sights, jeeps, trucks and
    other more esoteric stuff. Many of the planes were built at the Willow Run plant. Some were used on the raids
    on Ploesti, Rumania.

My late mother in law worked there during the war. She was good at math and did some
    esoteric measurements on her job. Not Rosie The Riveter but she probably ate lunch
    with her in the plant cafeteria. My late father-in law worked on the line at a car factory in Detroit
    on the last run of cars before it started making tanks. Then he joined the Army.

Good read. Covered lots of things I didn't hear about from my in-laws.

Anyone have Dan Carlin's new book?

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I can’t remember if someone here recommended As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Cary Elwes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    Just finished The Arsenal Of Democracy by A.J. Baime. Subtitle is "FDR, Detroit, And An Epic Quest To Arm An America At War".
    I have read and endorse both these books.

I normally avoid books by celebrities, but the Princess Bride book was good, very interesting behind-the-scenes look at the making of a classic. I despise Rob Reiner's political opinions, and haven't cared for anything else he has made, but he gets a by for this one. (Well, part of a by, he really is a meathead, politically.)

As a native Detroiter, I knew some of the background related in that book, interesting to see a deeper reporting. Can't wonder how FoMoCO might have been different if Edsel had lived. And too bad the ex-Fed hadn't run Henry's security goon out of town earlier...
    Last edited by Drang; 11-07-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Anyone have Dan Carlin's new book?
    I'm listening to it. In many ways it is a compilation of his earlier podcasts...Bubonic Nukes, Judgment at Nineveh, Old School Toughness, Suffer the Children, Logical Insanity, and The Destroyer of Worlds. These are actually some of the chapter titles too. Some of these I didn't listen to when they came out, so it was new to me. I'm enjoying it, but some who have listened to the entire Hardcore History library may find it covers familiar ground.

The Audiobook is narrated by Dan and is very much just like episodes of his Podcast. Which is what I was looking for.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Not a recommendation, but a question. I'm reading a book for Kindle review "No Safe Place" *** Sigh ***
    Not promising. One of the FBI agents responding to a school shooting identifies the weapon used by the shooters as an M4, based on a shell casing he picks up off the floor. *** Sigh ***
    Let me point out that the author already has police in the build with AR-15s.

My question concerns protocol. The two agents come across "a maniac’s bloodbath." A wounded girl reaches out to them and asks for help.
    From the book:
    A ponytailed teenage girl reached out and weakly caught Erin’s ankle with her fingers. The front of her pink blouse was covered with a spreading red stain. “Please,” she whispered hoarsely between shallow, rasping breaths. “Help… me….”
    "As much as instinct told Erin to linger and comfort the victims, protocol dictated that she wasn’t to stop moving until the shooter was no longer a threat."
    She tells her "kindly" that help is on the was the way and they would come to her as soon as they can.

Any chance in hades that is really protocol? I want to be sure before I ding him stars for it.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 11-12-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    "As much as instinct told Erin to linger and comfort the victims, protocol dictated that she wasn’t to stop moving until the shooter was no longer a threat."
    She tells her "kindly" that help is on the was the way and they would come to her as soon as they can.

Any chance in hades that is really protocol? I want to be sure before I ding him stars for it.
    Yup, that's current best practice. If I stop to help one casualty, more casualties are being made. I'll tell you to self evacuate if you can and move on.

What's not best practice is stopping to look at shell casings, etc. Let alone disturb them.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 11-12-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I finished the 5 book "Lightbringer" series yesterday. The whole series is very good. The last book is one of my favorite fiction books of all time. I love a good redemption story and so many characters have a chance at it. I feel like anything else I say would result in spoilers, so I'll leave it this: I loved the story, the writing style, the character development, the cohesive narrative, the quotable notions, just the whole thing. Highly recommended.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Yup, that's current best practice. If I stop to help one casualty, more casualties are being made. I'll tell you to self evacuate if you can and move on.

What's not best practice is stopping to look at shell casings, etc. Let alone disturb them.
    Thanks. Glad I won't ding him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    A ponytailed teenage girl reached out and weakly caught Erin’s ankle with her fingers. The front of her pink blouse was covered with a spreading red stain. “Please,” she whispered hoarsely between shallow, rasping breaths. “Help… me….”

Yes it is. It’s protocol as long as I can remember. But it’s not just victims it’s wounded Officers. For HRTs and Active shooters you don’t stop for wounded Officers. You continue to stop the threat. That’s why we all carry IFIAKs now.

It’s getting better for us as our Fire medics are training to enter warm zones with police cover to treat and evacuate the wounded. Walking wounded are told to exit the best they can.

It sounds bad but stopping just means more victims in the long run.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

A few books ...

I read this and found it a benign, competent palate cleanser after the two very heavy books on the Balkan Wars. Workmanlike military sci fi with above average ship battles.

Name:  EB7A2275-1064-402A-9F05-7E903842D65B.jpeg
Views: 421
Size:  53.7 KB

In honor of Veteran’s Day I grabbed Alone at Dawn on Audible. An excellent book, and despite my reading a lot of military history all my life, really the first I’ve read about post 9/11 conflicts. I’ll be reading more.

Name:  7D854460-08AA-403F-9BEA-F61F83CD22B9.jpeg
Views: 426
Size:  42.7 KB

I tried to listen to One Minute After, by William Forstchen, despite the introduction by Newt Gingrich. I had high hopes when I realized it was set near Asheville, Nc, but a few pages were all I could stand. Too many “could indeed,” “yes indeed,” “he had indeed” in a few pages told me the writing was not gonna do it.

Instead I listened to this Audible Original. It was decent for the price of free, and I learned a little bit.

Name:  9BFACC3B-7EB5-481D-8F74-0DB0F3F6C15B.jpeg
Views: 433
Size:  72.0 KB

User Tag List