Page 103 of 235 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Are there any mystery/police series that are more.... reasonable, or realistic?
    If you like old school, The Friends of Eddie Coyle by George V. Higgins seemed pretty realistic and even got a mention on the last episode of Justified.

If you like Wambaugh, The Black Marble is on today's Kindle Deals. Wambaugh is no DL Barbur, but while patiently waiting for the next novel, ya gotta make due with what's out there.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 10-21-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Spoiler Alert.

Agree but beware. After reading the book you'll probably feel a compelling urge to buy a tank. It really seems like it would be a handy problem solver during the weekly commute. I image a future of zen like calmness once I get mine!

Namaste
    I've been both a driver and tank commander of a mine clearing tank (not as impressive as it sounds, it's just a 2 man crew so if you aren't driving you're commanding, but I leave that part off of resumes ).

Driving a tank is, without a doubt, fucking awesome. I got to run over a Jeep. It was like driving a Cadillac over a 1x4". You sorta noticed you ran over something, but meh, didn't upset the ride at all. Maintenance isn't even that terrible as long as you've got two people. Fuel economy, being 0.8 mpg (IIRC) for the M60 chassis burning JP-8, might be a bit of burden on the commuter's budget, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I think you get more out of the show having read the books.
    I was afraid of plot line clashes, etc. I’ll get on the library wait list for the first one ....by the time I get to the top the series probably will be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I was afraid of plot line clashes, etc. I’ll get on the library wait list for the first one ....by the time I get to the top the series probably will be over.
    They've done a remarkable job of staying pretty close to the books--much more so than GoT. Of course, they had to leave out some things. On the other hand, there are a lot of details from the books that are also in the show, but you probably didn't notice without having benefit of reading the books. Some parts of the books are even more suspenseful than in the show.

There are also several novellas that provide backstory for the main books and the show, and are among my favorites in the series.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    They've done a remarkable job of staying pretty close to the books--much more so than GoT. Of course, they had to leave out some things. On the other hand, there are a lot of details from the books that are also in the show, but you probably didn't notice without having benefit of reading the books. Some parts of the books are even more suspenseful than in the show.

There are also several novellas that provide backstory for the main books and the show, and are among my favorites in the series.
    Cool. It’s a five week estimated wait for Leviathan Wakes, which isn’t too bad. 9 weeks for audio. I always try to get them at the same time, but I’ll spend an audible credit if need be.

Cool. It’s a five week estimated wait for Leviathan Wakes, which isn’t too bad. 9 weeks for audio. I always try to get them at the same time, but I’ll spend an audible credit if need be.
    I read pretty much everything on a Kindle.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    I read pretty much everything on a Kindle.
    As do I. I get kindle books from the library, as well as audio books. Sometimes I’ll check out the library kindle copy and buy the audible, and enjoy the sync between them as I read / listen.
    Last edited by Medusa; 10-21-2019 at 02:16 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Has anyone read McCullogh's The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West book released earlier this year? I've generally enjoyed his work and am thinking of picking it up.
    Yes, see post #914. It's sort of a local history, as it really focuses on Marietta, OH. It also had some details on Aaron Burr's arrest that I hadn't heard before.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Banned
    Finished this today. It was ok, but it strikes me a bit like an allegory with no real point or purpose. There’s some good description at times, some neat turns of phrase; and there is, or may be, enough substance there I may read the next to see if there’s a payoff, but it won’t be high on my list of to read books. I wonder, as well, if this is a book that suffers as an audiobook rather than being read. That’s rare in my experience, but maybe that was part of my being underwhelmed.

Name:  994AA466-6EB1-46B7-9FE2-BFF2357A028C.jpeg
Views: 233
Size:  41.5 KB
    Last edited by Medusa; 10-22-2019 at 01:56 PM.

Finished this today. It was ok, but it strikes me a bit like an allegory with no real point or purpose. There’s some good description at times, some neat turns of phrase; and there is, or may be, enough substance there I may read the next to see if there’s a payoff, but it won’t be high on my list of to read books. I wonder, as well, if this is a book that suffers as an audiobook rather than being read. That’s rare in my experience, but maybe that was part of my being underwhelmed.

Name:  994AA466-6EB1-46B7-9FE2-BFF2357A028C.jpeg
Views: 233
Size:  41.5 KB
    I just refinished reading the entire series. "The man in black fled across the Desert, and the Gunslinger followed" - best opening line ever (nearly). The rest of the series will bend your brain, and, as much as I love the story, the obvious and heavy handed deux ex machina(s) employed later on take some of the shine off the whole enterprise. But, if you're a King fan, this is his opus, and weaves many of his other works into itself (with various levels of success).

User Tag List