Page 102 of 235 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Are there any mystery/police series that are more.... reasonable, or realistic?

I've really enjoyed the Bosch novels, which started off not-that-convincing, but become more and more believable as LA cops became fans and reached out to the author.

Anything like that?
    I very much enjoy the "Prey" series and the Virgil Flowers books by John Sanford. Not sure about how realistic they are from am LEO perspective but both Sanford and Connelly are extremely gifted writers

I'll second both John Sandford series. I have some catching up to do with the Flowers books but have been reading the Prey novels since he started them.
    Also not an expert on police procedure but I don't think there's anything too fantastical in them. The dialog between the cops is always entertaining, realistic or not. There's plenty of instances where Davenport screws up and pays the consequences, and he ages and changes as the series progresses which you don't always see.
    He also does a good job making Flowers a very different character, so the series have a different feel.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Spearhead by Adam Makos

This was an awesome read. If you like WWII military history and armor you’ll like this book. I read three quarters of it in one sitting.
    I just started this one and am a touch over 1/4 through it already. You're right, it's an awesome read.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It’s time to reread it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    In other words, the kind of book people read in order to impress people they really don't like. Or at least say they've read.

While spending your own time and money to do things you can't stand to impress people you don't like (and who often don't care or notice) isn't quite Hell on Earth, it's still a pretty miserable time.
    I vicariously experienced my ex-wife getting an MFA in creative writing. At one point the plan was for her to get hers, then for me to get mine. After watching her navigate that toxic environment, I said "nope" and now I write lowly genre fiction. Those folks would look down on me , but I'm paying the mortgage with book royalties, so there's that.

What comes to be considered "good" in literary fiction is interesting. Some of those books are breathtaking books that will change your life. Most of them are boosted because of who the author knows, or in many cases, literally sleeping with.

There's long been speculation that many people buy the popular lit-fic books as a form of virtue signaling, but don't actually read them. One of the funny things about eBooks is that retailers like Amazon and Kobo actually know whether books are getting finished or not, and their numbers bear that out.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I just started this one and am a touch over 1/4 through it already. You're right, it's an awesome read.
    Spoiler Alert.

Agree but beware. After reading the book you'll probably feel a compelling urge to buy a tank. It really seems like it would be a handy problem solver during the weekly commute. I image a future of zen like calmness once I get mine!

Namaste

I just finished the latest Expanse book. I love the series, both in print and on Amazon streaming.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I vicariously experienced my ex-wife getting an MFA in creative writing. At one point the plan was for her to get hers, then for me to get mine. After watching her navigate that toxic environment, I said "nope" and now I write lowly genre fiction. Those folks would look down on me , but I'm paying the mortgage with book royalties, so there's that.

What comes to be considered "good" in literary fiction is interesting. Some of those books are breathtaking books that will change your life. Most of them are boosted because of who the author knows, or in many cases, literally sleeping with.

There's long been speculation that many people buy the popular lit-fic books as a form of virtue signaling, but don't actually read them. One of the funny things about eBooks is that retailers like Amazon and Kobo actually know whether books are getting finished or not, and their numbers bear that out.
    My shelves have a few dozen "signaling" titles from my college years. A fair number are, indeed, unread.

I stopped caring what anyone thought about what I read a long time ago, and I finish every single book I buy now - Neil Gaiman, Stephen King, Iain M. Banks (sadly, I have exhausted his works and am on my last Banks read ever, rest his soul), Alastair Reynolds, and anything that I just genuinely enjoy and am excited to read, which is usually military, sci fi, fantasy, or detective-type stuff.

Life is such a short, fleeting thing, and reading such an enjoyable escape from it, that the very idea I once cared what some mysterious peer group thought about what I'm reading is alien, like a different human being had those concerns.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 10-21-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I just finished the latest Expanse book. I love the series, both in print and on Amazon streaming.
    I’m saving my reading of the series for whenever the amazon series ends - definitely on my to be read list.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I’m saving my reading of the series for whenever the amazon series ends - definitely on my to be read list.
    I think you get more out of the show having read the books.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List