Page 178 of 235 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Red Platoon: A True Story of American Valor by Clinton Romesha

Red Platoon: A True Story of American Valor by Clinton Romesha

Medal of Honor recipient Clinton Romesha gives a first-hand account of the battle for American Combat Outpost ("COP") Keating near the town of Kamdesh in Nuristan Province in eastern Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I wish they would just stop with the Robert Parker continuations. The Everett Hitch and Virgil Cole novels are some of the best westerns ever. Robert Knott took over the series and each one has been a little bit diminished. The latest, Bucksin was a fucking train wreck. I have no idea what they were thinking letting that turd hit print. It doesn't look like there is another novel in the series scheduled, so that may be the unfortunate end.

I could not agree more. I loved Parker's books about Hitch and Cole. I read all the follow ups out of love of those characters, but every one of Knott's books is trash. They either rehash every single same thing, or become so implausible and the characters do unrecognizable things.

It is a damn shame the movie was not a hit. Or that it had come out a few years later, because they would make really good candidates for Netflix movies. Like one every year or so.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

I'm currently reading "12 Rules for Life" by Jordan Peterson. It is the most thought-provoking and introspective book I have read in a very long time.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Abe Books is a decent place to find used books for a few bucks apiece. If it's a book that I think that I may want to hold onto, I'll go there. I bought copies of Close Quarters and Chickenhawk there, based on this thread.

I've got a shirttail relative who's an Apache driver. I asked him if he had read Chickenhawk. He said he hadn't, but that he had heard other pilots say that it was good. So I sent him a copy. I heard from him last week; he thinks it's a great book.
    I've never gone wrong with a purchase from Abe Books - always quick shipping and condition is generally as described or better.

I recently down-sized my book collection (more of an amassing than collection) and Chickenhawk was one of the few hardbacks I retained. I've reread it numerous times. On the other hand, Chickenhawk - Back in the World was not moving in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Abe Books is a decent place to find used books for a few bucks apiece. If it's a book that I think that I may want to hold onto, I'll go there. I bought copies of Close Quarters and Chickenhawk there, based on this thread.

I've got a shirttail relative who's an Apache driver. I asked him if he had read Chickenhawk. He said he hadn't, but that he had heard other pilots say that it was good. So I sent him a copy. I heard from him last week; he thinks it's a great book.
    That’s a bookmark thank you!
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 03-19-2021 at 05:59 PM. Reason: !
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post

Also- reading Permanent Record- Snowden’s recent autobiography. I am of the opinion- he should get a parade down the center of DC. So far the book has been really good.
    Grabbing that.
    #RESIST

Probably not the kind of thing we’re generally talking about in this thread, but I got Death By Meeting yesterday and between yesterday evening and this morning finished the whole thing.

Highly recommend.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Any recommendations for a book about the battle of Dien Bien Phu? All the options I’ve seen have decent reviews, and I’ll probably only read one.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Any recommendations for a book about the battle of Dien Bien Phu? All the options I’ve seen have decent reviews, and I’ll probably only read one.
    Hell in a Very Small Place by Bernard Fall
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    WEB Griffin's Badge of Honor series was incredibly jarring when it jumped from the 70s to post 9/11 era. Most of the characters stayed the same age, it was just like boom same story but now its modern.

I'm re-reading the Corps series by him now. It'll be my 3rd or 4th read of the 10 book series.
    Yep. Read the first one after the jump and stopped there.

The Corps was my favorite. I loved almost all the books he wrote by himself. Haven’t cared as much for the ones he co-authored w his son.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List