Page 140 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Any recommendations for a book to read for a college student that may be applicable to the events of the day? This is a hell of a year with coronavirus, protesters and looters, and now calls to defund police departments of all things. Brave New World perhaps? I'm looking for something that said college student has to read and discuss with dear old dad since college student is unemployed and likely to remain so through the summer. No one is looking to hire an employee for 2.5 months, and I wish to "employ" said college student in expanding the mind.
    Still the Best Hope by Dennis Prager.

https://www.amazon.com/Still-Best-Ho...1656357&sr=8-1

Explains the completing values in the world of Americanism, Leftism, Islamist. Excellent read written by a well informed and thoughtful man.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Any recommendations for a book to read for a college student that may be applicable to the events of the day? This is a hell of a year with coronavirus, protesters and looters, and now calls to defund police departments of all things. Brave New World perhaps? I'm looking for something that said college student has to read and discuss with dear old dad since college student is unemployed and likely to remain so through the summer. No one is looking to hire an employee for 2.5 months, and I wish to "employ" said college student in expanding the mind.
    Days of Rage by Bryan Burrough. Documents the "revolutionary violence" in the 1970's. Said college student will have something to compare to current times.

I really enjoy the Raiding Forces series by Phil Ward. Set in WW2 it follows an American Officer serving in the British Army as he sets up a Commando style unit and battles across France, Africa and the Mediterranean. One thing that bothered me about the early books was some of the technical issues regarding firearms. I emailed Phil w a couple errors I found and ended up helping edit the last 5 or 6 books (all volunteer). Entertaining historical fiction.

Free on Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/Those-Dare-Ra...+forces&sr=8-4
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Campbell - Joker One

Name:  D46EB2C7-910D-45E1-9391-5E85CE911E68.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  57.4 KB

Shortened review - a worthy read for its candid and gritty description of a GWOT-era Marine platoon in urban combat. What comes through for me, as a student of military history, is the timeless decency and earnest good intentions of young marines, something that largely remains a constant no matter the era, and despite changes in weaponry (say, for example, the XM-1060 thermobaric 40 mm grenade) and mission. For the most part, the emotions in this book seem genuine and the fellowship and bonds between combat soldiers is another timeless facet of the book. Read it to honor these men, and those like them who serve, bravely, and go where they are told for reasons they are given.
    Last edited by Medusa; 06-09-2020 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GNiner View Post
    Days of Rage by Bryan Burrough. Documents the "revolutionary violence" in the 1970's. Said college student will have something to compare to current times.
    There's an excellent article that goes with a review of this book:

https://status451.com/2017/01/20/days-of-rage/
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    There's an excellent article that goes with a review of this book:

https://status451.com/2017/01/20/days-of-rage/
    I sorta remember those days. I was halfway through college in '72. I used to have a bunch of articles and newspaper images from stuff I saw back then but destroyed most all of it years ago.

Crazy time to be coming of age in America.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    I really enjoy the Raiding Forces series by Phil Ward. Set in WW2 it follows an American Officer serving in the British Army as he sets up a Commando style unit and battles across France, Africa and the Mediterranean. One thing that bothered me about the early books was some of the technical issues regarding firearms. I emailed Phil w a couple errors I found and ended up helping edit the last 5 or 6 books (all volunteer). Entertaining historical fiction.

Free on Kindle Unlimited.

https://www.amazon.com/Those-Dare-Ra...+forces&sr=8-4
    These are great books.

The lion shooting was hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    These are great books.

The lion shooting was hilarious.
    Waldo is one of my favorite characters.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Titan by Ron Chernow

Just completed and highly recommend this book on John D. Rockefeller. Did not realize how short of a time he spent as the head of Standard Oil- most of his life was spent on philanthropic pursuits. Chernow is one of my favorite authors- he gives very balanced picture of John D.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    From Annapolis to Scapa Flow: The Autobiography of Edward L. Beach, Sr.. Captain Beach graduated from Annapolis in 1888 and retired in 1923. It's an interesting look at the Navy in the final days of transitioning from sail to steam. It's in print only, so Kindle-drivers will be SOL.

His son edited the work and it was published sixty years after the author's death.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List