Page 203 of 233 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    Here are 4 excellent books for your summer reading list:

City on Fire
    Don Winslow
    I'm a fan of Winslow, especially his narco stuff. I'll check out City on Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Currently reading:

All Secure: A Special Operations Soldier's Fight to Survive on the Battlefield and the Homefront.
    I listened to this on audio book recently and recently enjoyed it. I think Slaterly, and others with similar backgrounds, are starting to remove the stigma about PTS in special operations communities.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I enjoyed the latest from Jack Carr: "In the Blood." I bought a signed edition with a title page personally shot-through by the author using a .338 Lapua Magnum. Did it make the book better? Yes, yes it did.

I'm reading Savage Son right now and enjoying it. I've avoided Jack Carr's books for a while under the (mistaken) impression he was just another HSLD guy leveraging his military pedigree to get into writing, but he's actually an entertaining author. Based on a few interviews that I've seen, he seems pretty down to earth and authentic too.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I enjoyed the latest from Jack Carr: "In the Blood." I bought a signed edition with a title page personally shot-through by the author using a .338 Lapua Magnum. Did it make the book better? Yes, yes it did.

It certainly did with mine as well

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The Dark Side of Man: Tracing the Origins of Male Violence by Michael Giglieri, 2000, published by Basic Books.

I have had this book suggested to me numerous times, but never had the chance to read it. It is both profoundly enlightening, and profoundly disturbing, at the same time. Highly recommended.
    Yup, that's a solid one. Also puts to bed the "men have to be taught how to kill" BS. We have to be taught how to not kill.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I’m a little over halfway through War and Peace. I joined a book club online and read a chapter a day.

The book is daunting due to its size but breaking it down into small little bits is really easy. It’s an excellent book.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post

I'm reading Savage Son right now and enjoying it. I've avoided Jack Carr's books for a while under the (mistaken) impression he was just another HSLD guy leveraging his military pedigree to get into writing, but he's actually an entertaining author. Based on a few interviews that I've seen, he seems pretty down to earth and authentic too.
    I've been enjoying his monthly reading lists, which he was publishing regularly until early this year. Lots of quality books, many of them quite old, that have been fun reads.

I'm currently hooked on Saul Herzog's Lance Spector series. Starts off a little shakey with an over-the-top super-special-agent protagonist, but I'm on book five now and can't put it down. Much of the series focuses on US-Russia relations and while fiction, the parallels with what's actually going on in the world right now are eerie.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Summer-B...dp/B09KXD3SXY/

Last Summer Boys, free with Kindle Unlimited. I've not generally been terribly impressed with the free books but this one was really good. It's a more complex story than you originally assume and it steadily picks up steam. Set in Vietnam War era Appalachia and told from the perspective of a boy trying to keep his older brother from being drafted, it's an interesting setting and the characters come to life. I really enjoyed this one.

Site Supporter
    Beneath A Scarlet Sky
    Name:  ScarletSky.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  11.8 KB
    5 of 5 stars.

This is written as a novel, though it is based on real people and real events. It follows a young Italian boy fighting the NAZIs as a spy, assigned to a powerful German general.
    The story focuses on the personal impact the war had on the protagonist, his friends and family. I found the book powerful and hard to put down. It left an emotional impact on me that lasted for several days.
    This is definitely a worthy read. Even if you’re not a fan of historical fiction or World War II, the human story alone will keep you enthralled with this book.

https://www.amazon.com/North-Paradis...dp/B094JM3PDB/

North to Paradise.

A memoir of the author's immigration from Ghana to Spain. After getting burned on "As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me" I'm skeptical as to some of the details, but maybe it's true. I just never found myself rooting for the author despite his story and it has to be the most colorless and bland telling of an 'adventure' I've seen. Throw in a little Africa sucks because White Supremecy and I nearly gave up on it then.

It's blessed brief. I read the book in a couple hours. It's free for Kindle Unlimited, which makes it a bit better knowing at least I didn't pay for it. It's not a *terrible* book, but not one I can recommend either.

After watching Dark Winds I’m starting to reread Tony Hillerman’s Leaphorn and Chee series. I’m enjoying it a lot.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List