Page 160 of 233 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,600 of 2322

Thread: Book Recommendations

Read Peter Green’s translation of The Iliad and Emily Wilson’s translation of The Odyssey about a month ago, both were excellent.

Odysseus comes out the favorite character for me from both works. Achilles comes off a sulking brute. Hector ends up having the biggest fall in stature from my pre reading sense of his reputation to my actual take after reading The Iliad.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    To whoever recommended The Ill Made Knight thank you very much. I finally cut through my reading list and I’m reading it right now.
    The story gets better and better.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    The story gets better and better.
    Nice! Thanks I’m really digging the story. Good stuff!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Nice! Thanks I’m really digging the story. Good stuff!
    I agree, the first book is very good, but it definitely gets better.

Site Supporter
    Based on recommendations in another thread, I looked for Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun. It's available, used, for about $90. It was, however, republished as two books which are normally priced. I ordered both used, from different shops. Got one today...the second one. Grrr... The other one's due in tomorrow so it's not catastrophic, just irritating. It's raining, so it's perfect reading weather.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Based on recommendations in another thread, I looked for Gene Wolfe's The Book of the New Sun. It's available, used, for about $90. It was, however, republished as two books which are normally priced. I ordered both used, from different shops. Got one today...the second one. Grrr... The other one's due in tomorrow so it's not catastrophic, just irritating. It's raining, so it's perfect reading weather.
    I absolutely love those books. They're fascinating and thought provoking, but they're pretty dense. Its something you sit down and read on purpose, not to kill time when your brain is tired, at least unless you're a much better reader than me (reasonably likely).

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-...dp/1400032806/

Do not expect an uplifting read. Essentially the story of violence fueled by certain groups of Mormon Fundamentalists, both historically and in relatively modern day. Be prepared for brutal murders because God said so, but also a lot of sexual violence.

It was not actually what I was looking for. I'm been reading more on fundamentalism and what makes fundamentalists tick again after taking a break from the topic for awhile. This is much more just a "this is what happened" sort of book that is more light on the "here's how it happened" part beyond the obvious.

I'm actually not sure I recommend it unless you're just interested in the history or would like more information on the social damage that polygamy causes. Again, not an uplifting read and there's no real moral high note at the end.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Cinnamon Skin by John D. MacDonald. Published 1982. Prescient.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Under-Banner-...dp/1400032806/

Do not expect an uplifting read. Essentially the story of violence fueled by certain groups of Mormon Fundamentalists, both historically and in relatively modern day. Be prepared for brutal murders because God said so, but also a lot of sexual violence.

It was not actually what I was looking for. I'm been reading more on fundamentalism and what makes fundamentalists tick again after taking a break from the topic for awhile. This is much more just a "this is what happened" sort of book that is more light on the "here's how it happened" part beyond the obvious.

I'm actually not sure I recommend it unless you're just interested in the history or would like more information on the social damage that polygamy causes. Again, not an uplifting read and there's no real moral high note at the end.
    It was a decent read on the history of the LDS, but otherwise a depressing crime novel.
    #RESIST

Read The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms during November. Small Papa Hemingway kick to close out 2020.

Currently reading For Whom the Bell Tolls interspersed with Shelby Foote’s Civil War trilogy.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

User Tag List