Page 91 of 233 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Well there ya go. I learn something every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I don’t find it any more burdensome than when a physical book is checked out. That being said our library does have some books where the licenses are unlimited- no waiting ever.

Our system has a lot of stuff on paper, ebook, and audiobook, so you usually don’t have to wait too awful long for a lot of items.

This discussion led me to examine my Kindle Unlimited history.

I've had a KU subscription for three years. As I said earlier, I've not found many great books there. Some back of the envelope math shows that I've finished reading a whopping 8% of the titles I've downloaded from KU.

Many of those were books I downloaded for market research. Now that I'm "wide" and my books are out of KU, I don't need to do that anymore. Because I still carry a scarcity mentality around if I'm not careful I often would force myself to try to find a book on KU instead of just buying one.

Life is too short for shitty books, so I canceled KU. I'll spend the $120 a year on books I actually read.

Here's an article from KM Weiland about why so many bad books sell on 'zon.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I just finished "The dark side of man" by Michael Ghiglieri. it was a fantastic read. exploring male violence by looking at the great apes.
    now reading "peak" by Anders Ericsson about the science of mastering things through deliberate practice.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    The Western Star by Craig Johnson, which is # 12 or 13 in the Longmire series.
    l
    I really do with that the series would not have gotten into some arc about damn international hitman with a hardon for Longmire. The stories would have been just peachy without that.
    Not that Craig Johnson cares what I think, but if I were to sit down with him over a beer, I would tell him exactly that. He's at his best dealing with the small town, local stuff. Once he got into the big-time international criminal conspiracy, he left his lane.

It's still Walt though, and I'll still read it.
    I just finished the next book in the series, Depth in Winter. The good news, it finally finishes off the damned international hitman arc.

The bad news: It's almost painful to read. Longmire's moral code gets people helping him killed. Besides that, he's an awfully damned spry septuagenarian to be running around, doing the stuff that he does in the book.

Hopefully, in the next book, he can get back to being a county sheriff and dealing with local bad guys.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I just finished the next book in the series, Depth in Winter. The good news, it finally finishes off the damned international hitman arc.

The bad news: It's almost painful to read. Longmire's moral code gets people helping him killed. Besides that, he's an awfully damned spry septuagenarian to be running around, doing the stuff that he does in the book.

Hopefully, in the next book, he can get back to being a county sheriff and dealing with local bad guys.
    Boy Howdy.

Craig Johnson (Longmire series), William Kent Kruger (Cork O'Conner series), and CJ Box (Joe Pickett series) have all gone this same direction. They started out telling stories that were based on well drawn, local characters embroiled in local dramas, then shifted to big-time international conspiracy plots. It didn't work well for any of them, in my opinion. That would be a difficult shift to pull off, even if done well, and in all three of these cases it was painfully obvious the author was out of his wheelhouse. Box's was the worst, with the "terrorists constructing the giant HERF gun plot," but all three of them stumbled.

I suspect some of this was driven by a desire to take the characters and stories in new directions after over a dozen books, and some of it was probably editorial pressure along the lines of "look how well all this international hit man stuff is selling."

The saving grace in all three series was usually how much we love the characters. The b-line plots that covered the characters personal lives were often better done, and you could just skim across the waves of the a-line plot.

Regarding Walt's age, Johnson has said that he was acutely aware that he was starting a rather elderly character when he started the series. So each book is a season. Walt only ages a year for every four books, but yeah, he's getting up there.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    I finished CJ Chivers' The Fighters this week.
    The level of personal detail in the stories he tells is quite compelling. Hard to put down (it's not a fun read), and hard to stop thinking about.
    He's a good journalist, and it seems to me he has a great understanding and sympathy with the people he is writing about.

(He also wrote the The Gun, a history of the AK-47.)

https://www.amazon.com/Fighters-C-J-.../dp/1451676646

The recent active killer events in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio got me thinking about a resource for those who are not as dedicated to self-defense. I expect that any reading resource would need to be affordable, easy-to-read/comprehend, concise, and contain realistic and reliable information from a vetted source to be of any real use.

That book is Pat McNamara's "Sentinel: Become the Agent in Charge of Your Own Protection Detail".

For those who are not students of self-defense, the book will provide a plethora of information that may just save a life.

For those out there who are serious students of self-defense, this book will still provide a few useful tips and tricks in addition to being a generally good refresher on a solid basics. Worth the price of admission.

Highly recommend regardless of whether you carry a gun as a responsible armed citizen, as a law enforcement/mil professional, or don't carry at all.
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Site Supporter
    To Hell and Back: Europe 1914-1949 (The Penguin History of Europe) Paperback – November 15, 2016
    by Ian Kershaw (Author)

The Global Age: Europe 1950-2017 (The Penguin History of Europe) Hardcover – April 30, 2019
    by Ian Kershaw (Author)

Really well written histories of Europe. Covers social, political, the wars, etc. The destruction of budding democracies after WWI and the rise of tyrannies is fascinating and frightening. The fall into ethnic and religious hatred is a lesson for now.

So I’m currently reading Christopher Ruocchio’s Howling Dark which is the second book in his Sun Eater space opera series. I’m liking it. The dilemma is I just got Sarah Hoyt/Larry Correia’s new book Monster Hunter Guardian and DJ Butler’s new book Witchy Kingdom on my Kindle. Whatever I decide to read after Howling Dark I’ve got a lot of reading to do.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List