Page 90 of 233 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    KU is definitely hit or miss. I get most books from my excellent public library system, but ku will surprise you with gems in military history and sci fi, sometimes with audible narration included. Sometimes I’ll take a chance on an author or genre I don’t normally look at - I read Mr. Polfus’ books on ku and wouldn’t have read them otherwise, for example.

ku isn’t essential, but nice to have. The library, now that’s essential.
    Last edited by Medusa; 07-10-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    It’s not unlimited reading of any and all books. You get a lot of books that would be $2-3 for ‘free’, but the quality of those is more or less in line with Apple’s free books. Some are gems; most aren’t. Although Kindle does seem to have a whole lot more indie novels in all genres.

I use it to kill a weekend with light, if not entirely memorable, sci-fi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I know it's just certain books. That's my concern with the quality. Sounds like it's fairly low from the feedback..
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

KU is pretty meh unless you know who you're looking for and even then it's a big maybe whether any of it is free. I wouldn't have it if my Kindle weren't linked to my wife's account. It's only been really useful to me when I've been totally out of purchased or library downloads and wanted something to read without budging from my spot.

I'd liken it to having a bunch of free movie channels when you first sign up for cable; handy when you just want an easy list to chose from, but it's pretty rare you land on Way of the Gun or anything with Carla Gugino in it so you don't bother renewing any of them.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's
    Yeah, I know it's just certain books.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    KU is pretty meh unless you know who you're looking for and even then it's a big maybe whether any of it is free.
    I'd happily pay substantially more to have unlimited access to all books. I don't know how well that'd work from an author's financial standpoint. But I mean I pay Apple $10/mo for all the music I can listen to - I'd pay quite a bit more for access to books. I know the public library is free (practically) but I actually have to get off my butt and go there. Mine offers e-books too, but it's pretty limited.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Les Miserables is a great book. Well worth the effort.
    Apparently Ilhan Omar agrees.

Alex Griswold
    @HashtagGriswold
    lmao, Ilhan Omar literally just ripped off the plot of Les Miserables and tried to pass it off as part of her life story
    https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/https://twitter.com/HashtagGriswold/status/1148590787539755014
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I'm not reading her tweet but I'll agree she's miserable.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I'd happily pay substantially more to have unlimited access to all books. I don't know how well that'd work from an author's financial standpoint. But I mean I pay Apple $10/mo for all the music I can listen to - I'd pay quite a bit more for access to books. I know the public library is free (practically) but I actually have to get off my butt and go there. Mine offers e-books too, but it's pretty limited.
    I like the idea. One option would be to pay for access to a public library system that has a robust ebook program and good delivery infrastructure. Multnomah County Oregon has both and I think you can get a card for 200 a year no matter where you live. That’s just one example, which I can vouch for personally, but I’m sure there are others.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I like the idea. One option would be to pay for access to a public library system that has a robust ebook program and good delivery infrastructure. Multnomah County Oregon has both and I think you can get a card for 200 a year no matter where you live. That’s just one example, which I can vouch for personally, but I’m sure there are others.
    Our local system has most physical copies I'd want, so no complaints there. Some of the local branches share with St. Louis branches, so it's pretty broad.

Their e-book system is odd. You can "check out" a book, but if someone else already has it checked out you have to wait for them to "return" it. Makes no sense to me, but what do I know.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Our local system has most physical copies I'd want, so no complaints there. Some of the local branches share with St. Louis branches, so it's pretty broad.

Their e-book system is odd. You can "check out" a book, but if someone else already has it checked out you have to wait for them to "return" it. Makes no sense to me, but what do I know.
    Probably a licensing thing, like software. Makes you pay for multiple copies if you want multiple copies in use at one time.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Probably a licensing thing, like software. Makes you pay for multiple copies if you want multiple copies in use at one time.
    This is exactly correct. The library buys multiple licenses to have multiple copies in circulation at once.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List