Page 121 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131171221 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm a couple chapters deep into: https://www.amazon.com/Other-Minds-O.../dp/0374227764

Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness

I don't have the background to know if what he's saying is true or not @RevolverRob is probably much more suited for that. Going with the assumption that his rendition of the underlying science into something suitable for laymen, it's an extremely interesting book so far.
    I dunno too much about that one. The synopsis makes it look pretty good, though.

I can tell you for sure, is that one of the ongoing and raging debates within animal research right now, is whether or not experiments on Octopus should be covered by Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) protocols. IACUC protocols are the kinds of things that say, "You cannot torture monkeys." or, "All animals used in this study must be euthanized in an ethical and minimally invasive way." or "You have to feed your rabbits every day." - Basically the things that says you won't treat your animals like garbage and torture them for fun.

Most universities/research institutes do not have formal IACUC procedures for non-vertebrate organisms, only vertebrate organisms. The case is being made now, and I think it is a good one, that Octopus and its relatives have sufficiently high intelligence to warrant IACUC protection. The argument has been in the past that organisms which "cannot feel pain" do not need to be covered. It's sort of obvious how one might apply that to plants and how one might apply that to vertebrates, particularly terrestrial ones. It's less clear how you apply these things to invertebrate organisms. In the case of the Octopus, sufficient evidence to demonstrate that Octopus has an advanced neurological system, memory, and sensory system, make it a great example of how our study and understanding of a system can change how we study and even feel about it.

Tangent - A good friend of mine who does neurobiology thinks one way around this problem is to in effect quantify the number of neurons an organism has. It's generally accepted more neurons = more brain = more intelligence = more sensory ability. It's not a bad idea and it would help clarify that say...octopus is protected, but zebra mussels are not.

It sounds like this book talks a lot about the evolution of the neuro-sensory system and likely makes that broad point of more neurons = more x, y, z.

Guns of the FBI: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/19...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a $52 hardback book--but well worth it. The book, written by a former FBI agent who worked as an agent and as a trainer with the Firearms Training Unit, is rich with both information and pictures. It covers a complete history of the FBI guns, training, holsters, ammo, courses of fire, bits from training manuals, and much more. It has a chapter on the latest switch to 9mm with a 3 page FTU position paper on the hows and whys of the adoption as well as terminal ballistics.

It is one of the two best gun books that I bought in the last few years, the other being Tom Givens latest book.

The easiest thing to do is attach scans of the table of contents:

Name:  FBI book 1.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  57.3 KB
    Name:  fbi book 2.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  64.3 KB
    Last edited by Ed L; 01-30-2020 at 04:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    Guns of the FBI:

It is a $52 hardback book--but well worth it. The book, written by a former FBI agent who worked as an agent and as a trainer with the Firearms Training Unit, is rich with both information and pictures. It covers a complete history of the FBI guns, training, holsters, ammo, courses of fire, bits from training manuals, and much more. It has a chapter on the latest switch to 9mm with a 3 page FTU position paper on the hows and whys of the adoption as well as terminal ballistics.
    Thanks, Ed-- I had not heard of this one. Link below to publisher page with some more info and sample pages from the book. There's also a podcast interview with the author that I'm going to check out.

https://www.gundigeststore.com/produ...-and-training/

https://jerriwilliams.com/bill-vande...arms-training/

About the Author
    Bill Vanderpool is a retired Special Agent with the FBI. He was a sniper on the agency’s SWAT Team at Washington Field Office, until transferred to the FBI Academy at Quantico as a member of the Firearms Training Unit. Vanderpool is the only agent in FBI history to have fired a “Possible” — an official perfect score — in both the FBI and the FBI’s National Academy.

Brings back memories of me as a youngster visiting the FBI building in D.C.

The range officer gave me the silhouette target he used and some brass after demonstrating a couple handguns and a "Tommy" gun. They were prized possessions for years as the target adorned one of my walls while the brass was kept with some of my other favorite items.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Finished this, found it surprisingly engrossing. Though not my usual fare, and despite a few kind of jarring firearms related glitches (eg the “mule kick” of a mini 14) I’ll read the next in the series.

Name:  F980C13E-B22C-4D10-BBA0-1D596CD94C4C.jpeg
Views: 321
Size:  70.7 KB

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm a couple chapters deep into: https://www.amazon.com/Other-Minds-O.../dp/0374227764

Other Minds: The Octopus, the Sea, and the Deep Origins of Consciousness
    I wish this book was longer. It was extremely interesting and dived into subjects I didn't even know existed, let alone knew I'd be interested in.

I absolutely recommend this one.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Brings back memories of me as a youngster visiting the FBI building in D.C.

The range officer gave me the silhouette target he used and some brass after demonstrating a couple handguns and a "Tommy" gun. They were prized possessions for years as the target adorned one of my walls while the brass was kept with some of my other favorite items.
    As a child, I saved the brass from the Veteran's Day celebrations. After the salute, there would a rush of children to collect the brass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    As a child, I saved the brass from the Veteran's Day celebrations. After the salute, there would a rush of children to collect the brass.
    It's nice to reflect on the innocence of childhood past...

...Nowadays kids can just pick up the guns dropped in the street.

Most David Morrell books, Brotherhood Of The Rose being my favorite.
    Nicholas Sansbury Smith, Extinction series.
    DJ Molles, The Remaining series.
    Mark Greaney, The Gray Man series.
    William Forstchen, Day of Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhitman View Post
    Most David Morrell books, Brotherhood Of The Rose being my favorite.
    Nicholas Sansbury Smith, Extinction series.
    DJ Molles, The Remaining series.
    Mark Greaney, The Gray Man series.
    William Forstchen, Day of Wrath.
    Blast from the past. I read many of his books years ago when they first came out.

User Tag List