Page 111 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121161211 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Just read “Storm Front”and “Fool Moon”, the first two books in the “Dresden Files” series by Jim Butcher. Hero is a modern-day wizard, style is hard-boiled detective. Entertaining if you just want to be entertained. First one is only $2.99 on Kindle.
    https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-D...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Just finished Shadow Warriors by Tom Clancy and Carl Steiner. It's basically a historical account of special forces. It's a long read but interesting if you're into that sort of thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    If you can get past his tendency toward anecdata, Gladwell's other books are usually pretty entertaining.
    I've read Blink and have the David v Goliath on my wait list.
    Last edited by BehindBlueI's; 12-05-2019 at 09:53 PM.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Just read “Storm Front”and “Fool Moon”, the first two books in the “Dresden Files” series by Jim Butcher. Hero is a modern-day wizard, style is hard-boiled detective. Entertaining if you just want to be entertained. First one is only $2.99 on Kindle.
    https://www.amazon.com/Storm-Front-D...=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    IMO, that series gets significantly better as it goes. I think book four is where they start to lose their formulaic approach and many of the side characters really start to bloom into interesting personalities with their own stories. If you like the Dresden Files, The Hollows series by Kim Harrison is similar but with a female protagonist.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you like the Dresden Files, The Hollows series by Kim Harrison is similar but with a female protagonist.
    Too Cool! I was basically trapped into the Hollows books by a GF who replaced any reading material in the bathroom with a Harrison book. I finished the series long after we'd gone our different ways. I always had a thing for Ivy!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Too Cool! I was basically trapped into the Hollows books by a GF who replaced any reading material in the bathroom with a Harrison book. I finished the series long after we'd gone our different ways. I always had a thing for Ivy!
    I think I've read the first six or seven, haven't picked it up in quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I just finished this and really enjoyed it. Basically battalion level and up but with interesting vignettes and technical / doctrinal info about the TDs.

Attachment 44902
    So I bought this book because I knew my Great Uncle Ronnie was in TDs in the ETO. Before I read the book I was given a box of papers by my parents to go through. I found his Silver Star award paperwork as well as the paperwork for his oak leaf cluster on his first Purple Heart. He was also awarded a Bronze Star but I haven’t found the paper for that or his first Purple Heart. He was a First Lieutenant which I hadn’t known before. There was also a pamphlet detailing the “Super Sixth” 6th Armored Division “From Brest to Bastogne”.

The best part was a letter he wrote to my Grandparents and my Dad on 4/25/45. It listed his unit in the return address. He was in Company B 603rd TD Battalion 6th Armor. This is information I never knew. I also have his service number now.

Anyways this is a long way of saying I enjoyed reading the book and thinking of my Great Uncle. Thanks RB!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Just got it from the library.
    Same.

Site Supporter
    The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 by Graff

Chilling oral reminisces of those involved from the Twin Towers, Pennsylvania, military, air traffic, etc.

Whenever I see a politician, president, etc. go kissy face and/or excuse the latest excesses of the Saudis, it turns my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm starting Promise of Blood, the first book of the Powder Mage Trilogy.
    It's an entertaining read. Not great, but certainly passable. I'll pick up the second book after I read Karen Armstrong's A History of God.

User Tag List