Page 195 of 235 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    His Alex McKnight series, beginning with A Cold Day in Paradise is worth reading.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Latest Longmire

Daughter of the Morning Star

The book is laced with fictional Indian mysticism (at least, it doesn't come up on a search). The way the ending is set up, it could be the last book in the series. Guess we'll have to see.

But dammit, is Craig Johnson the only person in Wyoming who has never seen or shot a 19111? It sure reads like it. After the umptteenth mention of Walt's "large-framed Colt", I wanted to throw the book across the room. Except it's from the library and all library books get treated with respect.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

An intriguing read...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Daughter of the Morning Star

The book is laced with fictional Indian mysticism (at least, it doesn't come up on a search). The way the ending is set up, it could be the last book in the series. Guess we'll have to see.

But dammit, is Craig Johnson the only person in Wyoming who has never seen or shot a 19111? It sure reads like it. After the umptteenth mention of Walt's "large-framed Colt", I wanted to throw the book across the room. Except it's from the library and all library books get treated with respect.
    You have to go some to beat some of the stuff Lee Child puts out in his Jack Reacher novels.

And, according to his page, Johnson has another book due out September 2022:

Hell and Back

Picking up where Daughter of the Morning Star left off, the next Longmire novel finds the sheriff digging further into the mysteries of "the wandering without"--a mythical all-knowing spiritual being that devours souls.

Walt thinks he might find the answers he's looking for among the ruins of an old Native American boarding school--an institution designed to strip Native children of their heritage. He has been haunted by the image of the Fort Pratt Industrial Indian Training School ever since he first saw a faded postcard picturing a hundred boys in uniform, in front of a large, ominous building--a postcard that was given to him by Jimmy Lane, the father of Jeanie One Moon.

After Walt's initial investigation into Jeanie's disappearance yielded no satisfying conclusions, Walt has to confront the fact that he may be dealing with an adversary unlike any he has ever faced before.
    Adding nothing to the conversation since 2015....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    You have to go some to beat some of the stuff Lee Child puts out in his Jack Reacher novels.
    I quit reading the Reacher series a long time ago. The books became "same shit, different town".

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    And, according to his page, Johnson has another book due out September 2022:

Hell and Back

Picking up where Daughter of the Morning Star left off, the next Longmire novel finds the sheriff digging further into the mysteries of "the wandering without"--a mythical all-knowing spiritual being that devours souls.

Walt thinks he might find the answers he's looking for among the ruins of an old Native American boarding school--an institution designed to strip Native children of their heritage. He has been haunted by the image of the Fort Pratt Industrial Indian Training School ever since he first saw a faded postcard picturing a hundred boys in uniform, in front of a large, ominous building--a postcard that was given to him by Jimmy Lane, the father of Jeanie One Moon.

After Walt's initial investigation into Jeanie's disappearance yielded no satisfying conclusions, Walt has to confront the fact that he may be dealing with an adversary unlike any he has ever faced before.
    That's going to be a "get this from the town library" book. I was happy that Johnson had wrapped up the "sheriff from one of the least populated counties in America takes on a international assassin" arc, but this one is pretty whacky.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I quit reading the Reacher series a long time ago. The books became "same shit, different town".
    Like how big of a shit-magnet can one guy be, lol?
    Reminds me of my late father-in-law who used to say if he ever saw Angela Lansbury he'd run like hell because somebody was about to get murdered.
    To make it work in my mind the character either has to be a detective who people know to bring their troubles to, or an investigator who gets sent to where some shit has already happened. Having a person who just randomly wanders around continuously stumbling into clusterfucks just doesn't make sense... Unless that's his superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Having a person who just randomly wanders around continuously stumbling into clusterfucks just doesn't make sense... Unless that's his superpower.
    Which could make for a fun series if the author has a great sense of humor.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Having a person who just randomly wanders around continuously stumbling into clusterfucks just doesn't make sense... Unless that's his superpower.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Which could make for a fun series if the author has a great sense of humor.

"C'mon, man!"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Like how big of a shit-magnet can one guy be, lol?
    Reminds me of my late father-in-law who used to say if he ever saw Angela Lansbury he'd run like hell because somebody was about to get murdered.
    To make it work in my mind the character either has to be a detective who people know to bring their troubles to, or an investigator who gets sent to where some shit has already happened. Having a person who just randomly wanders around continuously stumbling into clusterfucks just doesn't make sense... Unless that's his superpower.
    A terrific cellphone app would sound an alarm for the approach of tornados, floods, hurricanes, wildfires and Jack Reacher.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post

"C'mon, man!"
    Somehow, I'm not sure the author of that story has such a great sense of humor ... existential dread with a dollop of surrealism is as far as I'll go.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List