Page 143 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4393133141142143144145153193 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,430 of 2341

Thread: Book Recommendations

Marcus Wynne has a series of novellas hes been releasing every few months. He has released three so far and all have been very good.

Not as good as "Wylde" but that book is amazing.

I just finished The Good Shepherd by CS Forrester which is the book the movie Greyhound is based on. I’ve read all the Hornblower series but I’ve never read any of his other novels. It’s very good and the movie is a very close adaptation. It’s recommended.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

The Last Stand of Fox Company: a True Story of US Marines in Combat. Pretty amazing what most of these old guys went through. Sort of put me on an M1 Carbine kick again after reading their story.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    I just finished The Good Shepherd by CS Forrester which is the book the movie Greyhound is based on. I’ve read all the Hornblower series but I’ve never read any of his other novels. It’s very good and the movie is a very close adaptation. It’s recommended.
    It's near to the top of my "To Read" list, I'm looking forward to it after seeing Greyhound. Also, if you liked the book & movie, Tom Hanks did an interesting interview with Dan Carlin on his podcast called Dan Carlin's Hardcore History: Addendum. It's episode #12, "Wolf Pack Hunting with Hanks" and it was a fun listen. link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000483945010
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the Atomic Bomb and the 116 Days That Changed the World by Chris Wallace

The book opens with the death of FDR and runs through the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima, with brief treatment of the bombing of Nakasaki and an epilogue and post-script. This is more of a human-interest book than a technical history. Even if you are very familiar with the story, you'll learn something about the people involved. It is not a tome, it's easy to read.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Seapower States: Maritime Culture, Continental Empires and the Conflict That Made the Modern World Paperback – March 17, 2020

History of states that became dominant for a bit based on seapower and how they had political systems that challenged more authoritarian land based empires. Led to more political freedom, philosophy, etc. Many failed over time. A dense book but interesting for the world history buff.

Revolver: Sam Colt and the Six-Shooter That Changed America by Jim Rasenberger

@Mas reviewed the book on this blog.

The book is far more a biography of Sam Colt than anything else. There is a lot about politics, Colt's bribery of politicians to extend his patent, exports, and how Colt's factories pushed forward making guns on a production-line basis. There's mention that it was Elisha K. Root who was the genius behind the ability to manufacture large quantities of guns.

What I disliked was the undercurrent of disapproval of guns by the author. He couldn't help himself from throwing in a reference to Sandy Hook because the AR-15 was derived from patents purchased by the Colt company. There is a compendium of massacres of Indians in which the common theme was that the troopers used Colt's revolvers.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Reading a series of Stuart Wood's latest Stone Barrington novels. They are fluff but relaxing. I do wish Stone would move off the Colt 380's when he goes out. He has bigger Sig 9mms. If you want a more compact gun, there are decent smaller 9mms. Also, how does Dino, the Chief of NYPD get off all the time to travel with Stone?

A touch to much of the rich, indulgent life, now that Stone is loaded but it's only mildly annoying. Just fluff when bored from the library.

The Boys graphic novels from which the TV show is based. As I said in the movie/tv, thread, the show is good the books stink.

Name:  6435873F-149C-4086-9D29-95EFE7AD1D1E.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  70.9 KB

If you don’t know why you’d have to search long and hard to find any Chinese who will shed a tear over the nuking of Japanese cities, this book will show you why that is so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Name:  6435873F-149C-4086-9D29-95EFE7AD1D1E.jpeg
Views: 237
Size:  70.9 KB

If you don’t know why you’d have to search long and hard to find any Chinese who will shed a tear over the nuking of Japanese cities, this book will show you why that is so.
    Edited to add: It was right-side up when I selected it!

User Tag List