Page 190 of 233 FirstFirst ... 90140180188189190191192200 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,900 of 2328

Thread: Book Recommendations

Monster Hunter International: Bloodlines by Larry Corriea the International Lord of Hate. This book continues the Owen Pitt saga and reveals the mystery of Chad’s daughter. If you haven’t read the series start with Monster Hunter International. The first chapter is awesome dealing with a boss who turns into a werewolf.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

just finished The Sun Also Rises. not my favorite Hemingway work, but i like pretty much everything he's written

starting Great Expectations now

Quote Originally Posted by smokeman View Post
    just finished The Sun Also Rises. not my favorite Hemingway work, but i like pretty much everything he's written

starting Great Expectations now
    Two excellent books, especially the latter. A truly moving work.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    You might enjoy "The Murderbot Diaries" by Martha Wells. I started on them right after I finished the Leckie's Justice series. They are short reads, but fun.
    #5, "Network Effect" is a full-length book. But they really do need to be read in order.

#5 was a book that I really did find hard to put down.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Breathe A Life in Flow Rickson Gracie
    Started listening on Audible. Liking it a lot.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Breathe A Life in Flow Rickson Gracie
    Started listening on Audible. Liking it a lot.
    Jocko podcast with rickson. Made me get the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt_8doJ6M4k

Site Supporter
    I just started "Legends of Liberty" by Andrew Brown.

It's billed as:
    "A mock-epic poem about the American Revolution featuring supernatural twists, historical icons with extraordinary powers, and action-filled battle scenes."

There is a pages long introduction by some English guy who uses every big word he can find in his thesaurus. The guy doesn't seem to think much of modern poets but favorably compares Brown to Byron. He makes the point that good poets are still quoted centuries later, giving Byron, Frost, and Shakespeare as examples. If true, this guy looks promising. On the first page, he gives a definition of Progress:

Progress n The state of taking a patronizing view towards one's acestors while repeating their mistakes with better technology; an article of faith among secularists.

That, my friends, is quotable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    Jocko podcast with rickson. Made me get the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mt_8doJ6M4k
    So I listened to some of the Podcast on Spotify and coincidentally had to go to the grocery store afterward. As I'm walking down the aisles, all I hear in my head is "Sugar... POISON! Chocolate... POISON! Coca-Cola... POISON! ..."
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I'm kind of shocked to say this because I'm generally extremely critical of books in this genre...but I'm actually enjoying "The Killer Collective" by Barry Eisler.

(I had it as a free book for being an amazon Prime member at some point.)

It's kept my interest, I've managed not to be overly critical...and Eisler is actually pretty knowledgeable and a good writer, both of which have surprised me.

I'm actually, (at the moment), looking forward to looking at some of his other work...unless the last third of the book puts me off completely.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

The Searchers and The Unforgiven by Alan Lemay.

Both made into classic movies but as usual the books have much greater depth. In particular Lemay(who was a contemporary of Elmer Keith's) grew up in what was formerly known as Comancheria, the West Texas frontier raided incessantly by the Comanche and Kiowa for 50 years. He had grandparents murdered and scalped and grew up steeped in Indian fighter and survival culture. This gives the books a pretty unique POV. He is distant enough and educated enough to represent both sides realistically, but without flinching or apologizing. The results are harsh, bleak stories of a bitter fight to the death between 2 cultures with absolutely no way of understanding each other, acting out an endless cycle of murder and reprisal.

User Tag List