Page 233 of 233 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233
Results 2,321 to 2,330 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Received a tracking number from Mr. Kirchner already @blues.

Seems like a very nice gentleman.

Thanks again. Very smooth transaction.
    Awesome. Glad to have helped. Enjoy the book.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Resurrection Walk - Harry Bosch, Mickey Haller - Lincoln Lawyer book. Pretty good read. Seeing Harry having to change roles and at the end of life, it seems - is interesting. Better use of him than solving cases with Ballard - which seemed rather forced, IMHO.

The ending is a little deus ex machina but it works.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

Site Supporter
    Jim Butcher - The Olympian Affairs. Now I loved for awhile the Harry Dresden books. They did fall apart at the end with the last being ridiculous. This one is in a new series of a world with airships as humanity floats above a hostile planet. I'm sorry, I could get past the first chapter. It dripped with world building cliches, steam punk cliches, ridiculous and pompous character names and the promise of an endless series of endless partial reveals. The Amazon reviews are the usual corrupt BS.

I enjoyed both books of Butcher’s Cinder Spires series. The first one is The Aeronaut’s Windlass. It was published in 2015. There was a lot of interest in the second. I read The Olympian Affairs and enjoyed it a lot. If you haven’t read the first it’d be a tough book to get into I think. Both are rated 4.5 stars.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Special Forces Berlin.
    The story of U.S. Special Forces Detachment A, a covert unit that operated in Berlin from 1956 until(essentially) the end of the Cold War.
    A fascinating and well told story from the deepest end of the Cold War. "Det A" was intended to act as a Stay Behind unit in the event Berlin was overrun as well as to attack strategic targets inside the Warsaw Pact during WW3. Those that survived would conduct Unconventional Warfare and rally and train Resistance Groups.
    As the threat of Terrorism grew, they became US Europe Command's primary direct action Anti/Counter Terror unit even after Delta went operational. They played several key parts in Eagle Claw(particularly in intel, reconnaissance and targeting), and afterwards trained to a fever pitch for the ultra-violent second rescue plan(Think Mogadishu 1993 level Iranian casualties, 5 times as many commandos, orbiting C130s creating a denied zone around American personnel, a destroyed Iranian Air Force, and constant sorties of F-111s overhead bombing an exfil route similar to God's parting of the Red Sea) that never happened.
    This was a very interesting look into a dark, forgotten world.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Special Forces Berlin.
    The story of U.S. Special Forces Detachment A, a covert unit that operated in Berlin from 1956 until(essentially) the end of the Cold War.
    A fascinating and well told story from the deepest end of the Cold War. "Det A" was intended to act as a Stay Behind unit in the event Berlin was overrun as well as to attack strategic targets inside the Warsaw Pact during WW3. Those that survived would conduct Unconventional Warfare and rally and train Resistance Groups.
    As the threat of Terrorism grew, they became US Europe Command's primary direct action Anti/Counter Terror unit even after Delta went operational. They played several key parts in Eagle Claw(particularly in intel, reconnaissance and targeting), and afterwards trained to a fever pitch for the ultra-violent second rescue plan(Think Mogadishu 1993 level Iranian casualties, 5 times as many commandos, orbiting C130s creating a denied zone around American personnel, a destroyed Iranian Air Force, and constant sorties of F-111s overhead bombing an exfil route similar to God's parting of the Red Sea) that never happened.
    This was a very interesting look into a dark, forgotten world.
    Going to check that out. Thanks!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Here is a review of a book I haven't read but sounds really interesting. It's a re-telling of Huck Finn, but from the perspective of the black slave Jim. I'm going to try to dig up a copy.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    T read The Eagle and the Viper by Loren Estleman. He did quite a bit of research on France when Napoleon was early to power.

The book, though, could be fairly described as The Day of the Jackal, set 160-odd years earlier, right down to the exploding bullets.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Toxic Prey - Lucas and Letty Davenport

It's a bioterrorist thriller. Catch the germ terrorist. As a story, it's a good exciting read. I do have a qualm. As far as personality development of Lucas and Letty, there's none. I would expect a team up to explore their father/adopted daughter story esp. Letty being such a stone cold killer. They could have been replaced by any old agents for the book's story to proceed. Most of the previous books had interesting looks into these two.

There's a touch of antigun nuance. In a fair number of books, the author takes shots, so to speak, at private armed citizens. That continues here. If you read it, you will see my reference.

It was an entertaining book. Not his best but fun.

BTW, re-listening to some Virgil Flowers when I drive. I've forgotten most of them. I like the character, but his not carrying his gun in today's world starts to annoy. That was cute years ago, not today.

Just getting into Toxic Prey. Agree with your observations. Seeing a lot of tough, mean women.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List