Page 128 of 233 FirstFirst ... 2878118126127128129130138178228 ... LastLast
Results 1,271 to 1,280 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    ^one of my dad’s favorite books. I enjoyed it as well. Maybe I’ll mark it for a re-read.

On Desperate Ground: The Epic Story of Chosin Reservoir: The Greatest Battle of the Korean War by Hampton Sides.

Name:  chosin.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  34.4 KB

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1101971215...osi&th=1&psc=1

Excellent, highly detailed and moving account of the "Frozen Chosin" and the Marines of 1st MARDIV.

Wow. Although a student of Military History, I'd never read much about the Korean War. Great detail and many personal stories were woven into a compelling narrative of courage amidst unbelievable conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Attachment 51069

I’m the proud daughter of a combat vet. I have studied military history extensively just about all of my life. This country owes an unpayable debt to her combat soldiers. It speaks well of the United States that she produces such brave people.

It also speaks well of the United States that most of her soldiers understand that a free press, civilian control of the military, and rules of engagement are or can be a big part of what makes the United States great, rather than becoming what she fights.
    I get hated on everytime I say this but while that book is a great read, turns out its pretty fictional.

I can link sources later when not on mobile if you want (though a Google search will reveal quite a few if you are inclined) but Marcus was only ambushed by 10 enemy at most, not hundreds as he has often said. The goat herders they found never "turned them in" because they were already surrounded by enemy at that point and they were waiting to see what the SEALs would do. The enemy (who weren't taliban but still a group of A holes none the less) seen the helicoptor and tracked the boot prints of the SEALs and took up superior ambush positions. Also, if the guy who found Marcus is to be believed, Marcus still had nearly all of his ammo when found.

And before anyone starts calling me some SEAL hater or something (because someone always makes that accusation against anyone who points this stuff out) I only learned all this from a former SEAL that I work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Warped Mindless View Post
    I get hated on everytime I say this but while that book is a great read, turns out its pretty fictional.

I can link sources later when not on mobile if you want (though a Google search will reveal quite a few if you are inclined) but Marcus was only ambushed by 10 enemy at most, not hundreds as he has often said. The goat herders they found never "turned them in" because they were already surrounded by enemy at that point and they were waiting to see what the SEALs would do. The enemy (who weren't taliban but still a group of A holes none the less) seen the helicoptor and tracked the boot prints of the SEALs and took up superior ambush positions. Also, if the guy who found Marcus is to be believed, Marcus still had nearly all of his ammo when found.

And before anyone starts calling me some SEAL hater or something (because someone always makes that accusation against anyone who points this stuff out) I only learned all this from a former SEAL that I work with.
    The thing that turned me off in the book when I borrowed it some years back from the local library, was the self-congratulatory writing. I grew up in an era of the strong silent type hero...the guy who got up after being tackled and walked quietly back to the huddle and prepared to do it again. The military or law enforcement hero who did his job and did not seek to turn it into a profit making venture...but did his duty to the best of his ability without drawing attention to himself.

I admire the hell out of our heroes and those who have made sacrifices for our country. I admire them most when others are the ones who bring their accomplishments to light.

"There I was..."
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Red Metal - Mark Greaney

It's a Tom Clancy type of WWIII, Russian invasion plot. The premise is silly but it's a fast, lightweight, modern armor, etc. read.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I have been polite as I can in what I posted here. I didn’t think it was a good read at all for the most part; I often found it excruciating, self contradictory, filled with the pablum, produced by a mind fed and sustained on pablum, and bearing all the hallmarks of self aggrandizing falsehood. None of that changes the debt I and all Americans owe him for facing fire on behalf of the United States, or the sincere admiration and respect I have for our service members, both elite and rank and file.

i am reading American Sniper now. So far it’s significantly better, but it’s early days yet.

You are correct on all your accounts. Unfortunately a lot of those books aren’t accurate.

Perhaps because some considers works like Lone Survivor, Black Hawk Down, etc. not so much tributes or documentaries but rather memorials to those who gave their lives in the service to their country and their fellow soldiers. Just an observation, not a criticism.

Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy by Max Hastings.

It was great, starts during the French doubling down on their colonial efforts post WWII and continues to the fall of South Vietnam with references made to the current state of the country today. Well organized, well paced, readable to an almost pleasantly informal way, and thorough, offering points of view from the presidents down to the boots on the ground, from all sides of the conflict.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

The book club is doing poetry this month, so I'm starting with "Barracks Room Ballads" by Kipling.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List