Page 208 of 233 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

The gospels as audio books (from YouTube for free). Since I work often at a computer screen, I like the option of listening instead of reading in my free time (recreation for the eyes).

After watching All Quiet on the Western Front I got on a WWI kick. I reread The Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger who survived four years in the trenches as a German Officer. I read A Rifleman Went to War by Herbert McBride who was an American who served as a machine gunner in the Canadian army. He also was a sniper. This book was recommended here but I forget who it was. Junger and McBride are some hardcore men and it shows in their books.

I just finished Mud, Blood, and Bullets by Edward Rowbotham who was an English machine gunner from 1915-1918. He survived the Somme, Ypres, and Passchendaele. It’s a good read and I suspect he toned down a lot of things in his memoirs.

I currently reading Copse 125 which is a shorter book by Ernst Junger. The title refers to a section of woods. It’s mentioned in the prior book. I like it so far.

I’ll probably reread All Quiet. It’s been a long time since I read it.

Storm of Steel

A Rifleman Went to War

Mud, Blood, and Bullets

Copse 125
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    After watching All Quiet on the Western Front I got on a WWI kick. I reread The Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger who survived four years in the trenches as a German Officer. I read A Rifleman Went to War by Herbert McBride who was an American who served as a machine gunner in the Canadian army. He also was a sniper. This book was recommended here but I forget who it was. Junger and McBride are some hardcore men and it shows in their books.

I just finished Mud, Blood, and Bullets by Edward Rowbotham who was an English machine gunner from 1915-1918. He survived the Somme, Ypres, and Passchendaele. It’s a good read and I suspect he toned down a lot of things in his memoirs.

I currently reading Copse 125 which is a shorter book by Ernst Junger. The title refers to a section of woods. It’s mentioned in the prior book. I like it so far.

I’ll probably reread All Quiet. It’s been a long time since I read it.

Storm of Steel

A Rifleman Went to War

Mud, Blood, and Bullets

Copse 125
    A couple WW1 recs:

Not a book but, If you haven't seen it, They Shall Not Grow Old is one of the greatest movies and documentaries of the last few decades. Caught it during it's theater run. Hopefully as good on the small screen.

And throwing in Falcons of France. Fictional story of a pair of American volunteer fighter pilots written by a real life pair of American volunteer fighter pilots. Nordhoff and Hall are probably better known for Mutiny on the Bounty but this is my favorite by them. Checked Falcons out so many times in elementary school, the school librarian gave it to me when it made its way into discards 😀
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    A couple WW1 recs:

Not a book but, If you haven't seen it, They Shall Not Grow Old is one of the greatest movies and documentaries of the last few decades. Caught it during it's theater run. Hopefully as good on the small screen.

And throwing in Falcons of France. Fictional story of a pair of American volunteer fighter pilots written by a real life pair of American volunteer fighter pilots. Nordhoff and Hall are probably better known for Mutiny on the Bounty but this is my favorite by them. Checked Falcons out so many times in elementary school, the school librarian gave it to me when it made its way into discards 😀
    I agree I saw it in the theatre twice. It’s a great movie. I love the end credits.

Site Supporter
    Another WWI recommendation, a historical novel: To the Last Man, by Jeff Shaara.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Another WWI recommendation, a historical novel: To the Last Man, by Jeff Shaara.
    I looked it up and it’s actually in my Kindle library. I don’t remember reading it (I probably did) so it’s next on the list after Copse 125.

And another excellent WWI book: Men Of 18 In 1918: https://www.amazon.com/Men-18-1918-M...8636919&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    And another excellent WWI book: Men Of 18 In 1918: https://www.amazon.com/Men-18-1918-M...8636919&sr=8-1
    It looks good plus it’s on Kindle Unlimited.

For a brutal fictional look at WW1 aerial combat, Derek Robinson's RAF trilogy of War Story, Hornet's Sting and Goshawk Squadron are excellent.
    Goshawk Squadron in particular is evocative of the emptiness of the "Knight of the Air" romance around fighter pilots. Far from honorable man to man chivalrous jousting, it was sneaking up behind your opponent and shooting him in the back or strafing helpless infantry caught in the open.

I know this current discussion is of earlier conflicts, but if you haven't read "Matterhorn" by Karl Marlantes, you absolutely should. This one is about Vietnam.

I rarely give "highest marks" recommendations. This is one of them.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List