Page 177 of 235 FirstFirst ... 77127167175176177178179187227 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,770 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

I've been rereading Tom Clancy and am currently on The Cardinal of the Kremlin. I'm really enjoying revisiting them after so many years, they were good when I was a teenager but as a 40 year old I feel like I can truly appreciate just how well they were written and how good he was at character development and story telling.

I try to read a fiction novel and nonfiction at the same time and just started Beirut Rules which was recommended by author Jack Carr in his recommended reading monthly list. I'm not far into it yet but I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    WEB Griffin's Badge of Honor series was incredibly jarring when it jumped from the 70s to post 9/11 era. Most of the characters stayed the same age, it was just like boom same story but now its modern.

I'm re-reading the Corps series by him now. It'll be my 3rd or 4th read of the 10 book series.
    Completely agree; Badge of Honor is a mess after The Assassins.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    WEB Griffin's Badge of Honor series was incredibly jarring when it jumped from the 70s to post 9/11 era. Most of the characters stayed the same age, it was just like boom same story but now its modern.

I'm re-reading the Corps series by him now. It'll be my 3rd or 4th read of the 10 book series.
    I enjoyed the Corps series, as well as the Secret Honor series set in Argentina and the Brotherhood of War.

Reading City of Angels - as I’ve been hitting the Bosch books heavy this year.

One thing I’ve noticed- J. Edgar is a much better detective on the Amazon show. Seems like he and Harry don’t have much of a relationship in the books.

The books are a solid way to spend some time.

Also- reading Permanent Record- Snowden’s recent autobiography. I am of the opinion- he should get a parade down the center of DC. So far the book has been really good.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    In the Waves by Rachel Lance, which is about solving the mystery of what happened to the crew of the HL Hunley.

If you have no interest in all of that, you should check out the book and read Chapter 5, "Anatomy of an Explosion", which is about the effects of blast shock waves on people. It's not pretty.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    In the Waves by Rachel Lance, which is about solving the mystery of what happened to the crew of the HL Hunley.

If you have no interest in all of that, you should check out the book and read Chapter 5, "Anatomy of an Explosion", which is about the effects of blast shock waves on people. It's not pretty.
    It’s in the queue. This is an expensive thread!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    It’s in the queue. This is an expensive thread!
    “Public library”— just saying.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Truth
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

That's where I get all my books now. When I was working and driving around, I would stop at yard sales and pay 25 or 50 cents for books. I like to read and I'm cheap.

Abe Books is a decent place to find used books for a few bucks apiece. If it's a book that I think that I may want to hold onto, I'll go there. I bought copies of Close Quarters and Chickenhawk there, based on this thread.

I've got a shirttail relative who's an Apache driver. I asked him if he had read Chickenhawk. He said he hadn't, but that he had heard other pilots say that it was good. So I sent him a copy. I heard from him last week; he thinks it's a great book.

User Tag List