Page 63 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Thanks for the review John it’s ordered and sitting at least five down in my reading list. I’m on book 7 of the Peter Grant series BTW.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Thanks for the review John it’s ordered and sitting at least five down in my reading list. I’m on book 7 of the Peter Grant series BTW.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Double post
    Last edited by FNFAN; 11-26-2018 at 05:50 AM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

ATOMIC HABITS by James Clear

An actually useful self help book.

Site Supporter
    Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith -a really good thriller. Surprisingly, it's by the author of the Harry Potter series under a pseudonym.

I think I would have to create a pseudonym account to list the books I really like and read... I used to put a plastic cover on them while riding on buses and subways. No sense in embarrassing the uniform...

Site Supporter
    Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta.

The book details the diplomacy, politics, culture and military of Japan leading up to Pearl Harbor. It offers both an interesting history, and lessons for all areas of life.

Currently reading Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss. Distilled version of his podcast interviews.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Just finished “Creepology” and was impressed. It’s a voice-of-reason approach to dealing with what can be an emotional issue. Have ordered extra copies for some of the women in my life.

Here’s Tam’s review that got me interested:
    ————————————-
    https://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspo...f-defense.html

Social Self Defense
    The unspoken bogeyman in the self-defense industry is the actual statistics of self-defense. If you don't live in the 'hood and avoid entertainment districts late at night and don't do drugs, your chances of being hit by random violent crime are really pretty small.

But rather a lot of violent crime isn't random. Statistically speaking, you probably already know the person from whom you're most likely to need to defend yourself.

And there are levels of predation that are not violent, and not necessarily criminal. There are people who transgress boundaries all the time, sometimes with no intent other than hoping for a date, and some because they actually derive pleasure from causing others discomfort.

Does this sound uncomfortably familiar? Then you need to read Creepology. I just finished it and it's a fantastic read. It's a rare self-defense book that's this relevant, useful, and well-written. Highly recommend.

https://www.amazon.com/Creepology-Se...language=en_US

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But rather a lot of violent crime isn't random. Statistically speaking, you probably already know the person from whom you're most likely to need to defend yourself.
    This was one of the themes of a book I just finished reading titled Spilled Milk: Based On A True Story by K.L Randis. It is a fictitious account (names were changed) of a local woman who was physically, emotionally and sexually abused by her father from a very young age who then went the distance in having him convicted and sent to jail when she realized that would be the only way she could protect her siblings. The book was named after an incident where the author had the revelation that it was normal for child spilling a glass of milk to get screamed at and have the shit kicked out of him or her. Not an easy story to read.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 12-22-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List