Page 199 of 235 FirstFirst ... 99149189197198199200201209 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,990 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

The Rushing Winter series by Aaron Cowan(Sage Dynamics) has been consistently pretty good. I just finished book 6 the other day and enjoyed it quite a bit. The story is a bit like Jason Borne or Mitch Rapp; a highly trained assassin who rebels and tries to discover himself kinda thing. As the series progresses the story gets fairly deep with lots of characters and organizations and some decent lore. The action can be pretty over the top in places, but still feels grounded due to how it is written and how the character develops over time.

Cowan does pretty well for not primarily being a writer and I think the books do get better as the series goes on, however they all suffer a bit from excessive wordiness in places and can drag from time to time and there are a couple editing/proof reading errors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oreType=ebooks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    No, it wasn't banned. It was taken off the reading list. None of the kids will go to jail for reading it after school, nor will their parents be sent to re-education camps for letting their kids read it. Remember, one doesn't have to be literate to be a journalist. That's just clickbait.
    Read the link. It was banned.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Read the link. It was banned.
    I read the link. "Banned" means it is not legally available under any circumstances, and that there are negative legal consequences for possessing it. A school board doesn't have the authority to ban a book, and if they tried it would be immediately shot down on First Amendment grounds. They do have the authority to remove a book from a school's reading list, which is what happened here. Kids are free to buy it or check it out of the public library and read it if they wish. The use of "banned" in the article's title was pure clickbait.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    No, it wasn't banned. It was taken off the reading list. None of the kids will go to jail for reading it after school, nor will their parents be sent to re-education camps for letting their kids read it. Remember, one doesn't have to be literate to be a journalist. That's just clickbait.
    You can play semantics until the cows come home. If the school board doesn't allow the book to be used, it is banned. Banned from the school. Yes, you can still buy it a take it home. That doesn't remove the ban from school use. And they did, in their own words vote to ban it. It's banned.

I'm not a comic book reader since my teens...but I'll check this out...primarily because I grew up among some holocaust survivors, and I know the neighborhood the author lived in back in the day. It should resonate with me on a variety of levels...many painfully.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm not a comic book reader since my teens...

Name:  stiffy.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  70.4 KB
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

That's a new one on me.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The Island by Coes - a Mitch Rapp type vs. terrorist plot. Mildly readable but the ending falls into more than the usual disbelief. Folks fight with full auto AR-15s which they switch to semimanual. Ok - that's nice.
    I liked his first book but made the mistake of reading a review where someone pointed out that Coes has a habit of waxing grand eloquent about his protagonist's physique more like you would expect in a romance novel.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Star Mother

This was free with Amazon Prime a few months back and I just now got around to reading it. Honestly, without the 'free' part I am pretty unlikely to have picked it up as it's not the sort of thing I'd normally read. It was quite good, though. It's not a complex story, but it's a good one and I found myself staying up a bit too late just to finish it. It does start off a bit slow but snowballs nicely.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    The Hoodnurse Chronicles

This book was written by John Haynes, RN and I'm blessed to be able to say that John is a good, good friend of mine. He's an RN who worked as a home care nurse in Flint, Michigan for a few years and the book is a collection of vignettes from his work. John is a big dude, with an even bigger heart and his stories are brief, well-written (he has a great voice) and told with an enormous amount of love, respect and good humor. I've known John for a lot of years now and I heard most of these stories in real time. Along with a lot of his other friends, I told him, "You need to write a book man." I couldn't be more proud of him that he did. If you like the stories in the Roll Call thread, you'll love this book. If you wrote the stories in the Roll Call thread, you'll know every word of it is true.

User Tag List