Page 12 of 234 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Chemsoldier View Post
    Robert Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter" is awesome as well. Believe it or not the old "Man Eaters of Tsavo" by John Henry Patterson is an excellent one as well.
    I finally read Horn of the Hunter. Suddenly, I see exactly where Capstick got his inspiration. He has a very similar tone and style to Ruark.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I'll second the recommendation of anything by William Gibson. He is my favorite sci-fi writer by far. I will also recommend anything by Philip K. Dick as well. I particularly liked Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, the book that Bladerunner was based on. I loved A Scanner Darkly as a book, but I hated the film.
    Don't forget "The Man in the High Castle"- alt history, but with that great PKD twist.

For me..

Shooting to Live - Fairbarn and Sikes http://www.amazon.com/Shooting-To-Li.../dp/1581606788

Gates of Fire - Steven Pressfield http://www.amazon.com/Gates-Fire-Nov...=gates+of+fire A fun read about Thermopylae

and some fun reads...

Monster Hunter International - Larry Correia http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter...+international - ...talks about guns...

I too recently bought a kindle for my trip to the sand box. I've read more in the last 6 weeks than the last year (Unless you count R.R. Martins latest) which I also highly recommend.

I also higly recommend anything and everything by William Gibson. I have copies of his earlier trilogy, Neuromancer, Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive and I reread them every few years. Still great reading. His newer stuff is just as interesting and very fascinating.

Another good book by Steve Pressfield is the Afghan Campaign: A Novel.

Not on Kindle, but Unintended Consequences is back in print.

There is a .pdf out there, though.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

The Human Factor Inside the CIA's Dysfunctional Intelligence Culture by Ishmael Jones Not an action driven espionage thriller but rather the memoir of a former CIA operative. The book is a good read with lots of humorous anecdotes but at the same time its depiction of both pre and post 9-11, government bureaucracy structured for risk aversion and micromanagement rather than effective intelligence gathering is both believable and frustrating.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    I finally read Horn of the Hunter. Suddenly, I see exactly where Capstick got his inspiration. He has a very similar tone and style to Ruark.
    I will probably finish Horn of the Hunter tonight. I've very much enjoyed everything I've read by Ruark. The Old Man's Boy Grows Older is next on my Ruark list.

Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne was outstanding. I also just finished The Third Bullet by Stephen Hunter. It was a great read as far as a unique take on the Kennedy Assassination.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

The Far Pavillions by MM Kaye
    Tai Pan by James Clavell
    ShoGun by Clavell
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldsen
    For Whom The Bell Tolls by hemingway
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    The Far Pavillions by MM Kaye
    Tai Pan by James Clavell
    ShoGun by Clavell
    The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldsen
    For Whom The Bell Tolls by hemingway
    Shogun, Gai Jin and Tai Pan are all excellent books. Clavell is a wonderful writer.

User Tag List