Page 181 of 233 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2322

Thread: Book Recommendations

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Started the book - American Kingpin today about the Silk Road. So far- I’ve gotten through Ross Ulbricht getting the idea and setting everything up. Pretty excellent book- Ulbricht appeals to my Libertarian bent for sure. Snowden, now Silk Road, who knows what’s next!

I enjoyed that book and think it is a testament to how fairly it is written that my conclusion differs greatly from the author's. I firmly believe that Ross's trial was unfair and his sentence unjust.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    "The Long Earth"

https://www.amazon.com/Long-Earth-Te.../dp/0062068687

The setup for the book is there is (apparently) infinite iterations of Earth and with a simple device you can learn to hop between them. Each Earth is very slightly different, it's history being not quite the same, and the further you go the less like your Earth things get. The Earths are labeled "East" and "West" just as a means to keep track. You can step one east or one west at a time. Most people get nauseated by the process and have to wait a bit before they can step again. You also don't move physically or in time. If you step into solid matter, you won't step at all. If you step into the air, you'll fall when you arrive. If there are still dinosaurs, it's because that's the path that Earth took. You can move almost anything with you while stepping with the exception of elemental iron or it's metal alloys. The iron dissolved in your blood is fine, an axe head is not. It just stays in the Earth it was mined at.

Only our Earth has humans.

It's an interesting story but it's also an interesting take on what happens when access to many commodities are now almost limitless. There's more gold then people can mine. There's more trees than people can cut. There's more farm land than people can farm...and nobody actually *has* to farm if they go far enough out because you can successfully keep a hunter/gatherer society.

It's a 5 book series, all of which are out. I'll probably pick up the 2nd book at some point, but I've got a few others I want to catch up on first.
    I just started the second. It begins a decade after the events of the 1st. With the ending I had hoped that there would actually be some sort of conflict to resolve in the sequel. However, the start doesn't leave me very optimistic. Which is a shame, as the premise is quite promising.

I have read them. The later books get a bit far out even relative to the concept of a world line shifter powered by a potato.
    But then Steven Baxter is always far out.
    I don't recall any epigrams which is a bad sign for me. Maybe I need to reread them.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Most of my reading is fantasy, so dimension traveling, potato power I can enjoy. However when the author decides to go with "animal abuse" as the leading cause of drama, instead of the nuclear strike with which he ended his last book, I start to have doubts about whether this will be a series I finish.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Started the book - American Kingpin today about the Silk Road. So far- I’ve gotten through Ross Ulbricht getting the idea and setting everything up. Pretty excellent book- Ulbricht appeals to my Libertarian bent for sure. Snowden, now Silk Road, who knows what’s next!
    Added to the list.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Jack Carr - Savage Son, next is his Rapp like heroes adventure. Pretty good story and character.

Terminal rage / A.M. Khalifa. - a complex terrorist tale with the usual flawed but interesting hero who fell out of favor with the government. However, neat twists.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Jack Carr - Savage Son, next is his Rapp like heroes adventure. Pretty good story and character.
    Book 4, Devil's Hand, should be out tomorrow.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Book 4, Devil's Hand, should be out tomorrow.
    I preordered a while back and it was on my Kindle when I got up this morning. I'm about 50 pages in and it feels more like his first Terminal List than the others.

I was not as entertained by Savage Son and was hoping The Devil's Hand would be different and it appears it is. So far so good.

A while back, there was a discussion of where to buy hard to find or out of print books that I thought I bookmarked to links but apparently did not. Does anyone recall anything like that? TIA
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    A while back, there was a discussion of where to buy hard to find or out of print books that I thought I bookmarked to links but apparently did not. Does anyone recall anything like that? TIA
    Stephanie recommended Abe Books to me recently. I’ve bought Will and As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me from them.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List