Page 80 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Have you read “Reflections of a Warrior” by Franklyn Miller Rapid Butterfly? If you haven’t I’m sure you’d like it. It’s about his six years in Vietnam. He covers his time in a scout platoon and MACVSOG where he was awarded the MOH. He’s got some very funny stories as well as some sad ones. The chapter covering the event where he gets the MOH is outstanding!
    In his first firefight, literally minutes after getting to his unit, Miller calmly zeroes his rifle under fire. He picks out a knot on a tree and shoots at it, then dopes his sights onto the knot.
    It's hard to picture a more badass response.

Recently finished A Michigan Polar Bear Confronts the Bolsheviks.

It's an edited memoir from one who served in a field hospital in and after WWI in a non WWI campaign. Until a friend mentioned he had a relative who was a Polar Bear I never knew troops were deployed to Russia (and continued fighting after Nov 11) in WWI. Since reading the book I've learned that the father of a relative by marriage was also part of the campaign. Not a book that you can't put down but definitely interesting enough to finish. Just surviving the winter was a feat. To do so while fighting and maneuvering even more so.

Don't know if it's already been mentioned here, but I'm liking the Library Extension for my browser.

https://www.libraryextension.com/

It tells you if your local library has the book you're looking at on sites like Amazon and Goodreads.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Don't know if it's already been mentioned here, but I'm liking the Library Extension for my browser.

https://www.libraryextension.com/

It tells you if your local library has the book you're looking at on sites like Amazon and Goodreads.

Nice. I had not heard of this before.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    A Florida State of Mind by James D. Wright

It's fairly funny, but if you're thinking of moving to Florida, this book may convince you to move to Maine.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

This is the cover of a first edition of The Power of the Dog:

Has anyone seen such a target?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Have you read “Reflections of a Warrior” by Franklyn Miller Rapid Butterfly? If you haven’t I’m sure you’d like it. It’s about his six years in Vietnam. He covers his time in a scout platoon and MACVSOG where he was awarded the MOH. He’s got some very funny stories as well as some sad ones. The chapter covering the event where he gets the MOH is outstanding!
    1. Thank you to Coyotesfan

2. Reflections of a warrior is one of the best books I've read this year, and thanks to this thread I've read some great ones.

3. Fair warning, read on the weekend or on vacation, otherwise you will go to work the next day (or days) sleep deprived. Not a burdensome read but very very hard to put down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheap Shot View Post
    1. Thank you to Coyotesfan

2. Reflections of a warrior is one of the best books I've read this year, and thanks to this thread I've read some great ones.

3. Fair warning, read on the weekend or on vacation, otherwise you will go to work the next day (or days) sleep deprived. Not a burdensome read but very very hard to put down.
    You’re welcome sir. I’m glad you liked it. It’s probably one of my most recommended books.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    This is the cover of a first edition of The Power of the Dog:

Has anyone seen such a target?
    Good book?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
    Good book?
    So far. I learned about it in this thread.

User Tag List