Page 235 of 235 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235
Results 2,341 to 2,342 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    This reminds me of a passage in Bernard Fall's book "Hell in a Very Small Place" about the battle of Dien Bien Phu:

"The briefing held by Bigeard at 0200 was remarkable in many ways. He was a major commanding a battalion, who was "orchestrating" an operation involving five battalions, requiring air support that was to come from bases more than 200 miles away, and the firepower of more than two full artillery battalions commanded by a full colonel. Yet this was Bigeard and the place was Dien Bien Phu, and no one seemed to mind."

I'd highly recommend "Hell in a Very Small Place," I'll probably re-read it now myself that I located my copy to find this quote.
    "Hell In a Very Small Place" is what got me to read The Centurions and The Praetorians.

Have you read "Street without Joy"?

Also, in one of the various books about the war in Algeria ( I can't remember which, maybe "a Savage War of Peace"?), there is a photo of him on something like three field phones at the same time coordinating an assault of various units.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

I’ll contribute a couple from the last few months in no particular order. I would recommend all of them but obviously it depends on your tastes

We May Dominate the World
    An overview of American Foreign Policy in Central and South America from the 19th and Early 20th Century.

The Escape Artist
    The story of the only Jew to escape from Auschwitz

Mobilising Hate
    A look at how the Nazi State corrupted one of the most cultured states in Europe

Charlie Hustle
    In depth analysis of the career and downfall of Pete Rose

A Terrible Glory
    Custer and the Little Big Horn

The Earth is Weeping
    Overview of the Indian Wars. I would put this book right up there with Empire of the Summer Moon

Amusing Ourselves to Death
    A Reagan era book and it is stunning how accurate this guy nailed things.

The Coddling of the American Mind
    This should be required reading for all University Administrators. Instead they do the opposite

The Righteous Mind
    Why can’t we all just get along?

User Tag List