Page 229 of 235 FirstFirst ... 129179219227228229230231 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,290 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

I just wrapped up a re-read of Marcus Wynne's The Revengers series. Excellent books. Marcus did a great job of including just enough detail about guns and gear to satisfy nerds like me without making his books sound like Sig marketing material, a la Jack Carr. I don't know jack about tradecraft, but based on Marcus' background, I assume he does, and there's plenty of that, as well. Sadly, Marcus passed away a couple years ago. Looks like he published at least part of a fifth Revengers book on Kindle Vella, which I'm working through now.

Also just picked up Gray War, the first book in Peter Nealen's newish Brave New Disorder series. Peter's a former Marine and like Marcus, includes a fair amount of gun stuff without overdoing it. I've read and enjoyed many of his books in the past, and this series seems to be another good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I just wrapped up a re-read of Marcus Wynne's The Revengers series. Excellent books. Marcus did a great job of including just enough detail about guns and gear to satisfy nerds like me without making his books sound like Sig marketing material, a la Jack Carr. I don't know jack about tradecraft, but based on Marcus' background, I assume he does, and there's plenty of that, as well. Sadly, Marcus passed away a couple years ago. Looks like he published at least part of a fifth Revengers book on Kindle Vella, which I'm working through now.

Also just picked up Gray War, the first book in Peter Nealen's newish Brave New Disorder series. Peter's a former Marine and like Marcus, includes a fair amount of gun stuff without overdoing it. I've read and enjoyed many of his books in the past, and this series seems to be another good one.
    I thoroughly enjoyed all of Wynne's stuff.I zoomed through the entire Revengers series in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    My (used) book vendor of choice is https://www.abebooks.com/ If the book was published a year or more ago, Abe Books probably offers it at a friends and family price. For example, a moment ago they had Dodge City (Clavin) available at $6.56, including tax and postage. That particular book is now gone, thanks to Feudist's alert, but Abe remains a recommended source.

Duces
    I just picked up a copy too rated as a very good paperback for $5.64. Abes is my choice too.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

A few years ago my wife and I both got Kindles. We borrow kindle books from the library for free. Several of the books recommended must be too radical or obscure for the library to stock.

My grand daughter recently got a job as a librarian at the local library. She knew more than the person training her because we spent so much time there when she was a child. I would take the kids with me when I went to the library and I would look for books while the kids looked for books and played at the play area. Good times.

I am in the middle of that series, and enjoying it tremendously. Wynne's first three novels were excellent. I think you'll like Nealan's Gray War series. You should check out his American Praetorians series as well. Similar to Gray War but takes place several years earlier, no common characters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Dodge City: Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson and the Wickedest Town In the Wild West.
    Tom Clavin.
    Well written, meandering history of the Sodom of the Plains during its cow town boom days.
    Thanks for the recommendation.
    I’ve downloaded it digitally, and am looking forward to reading it.

Wow. I just came to the thread to suggest Marcus Wynne's books. I've thoroughly enjoyed his stuff and was very sad we lost his writing talent. He did an excellent job in writing about the gun & knife stuff as well as portraying very well thought out 'been there done that' characters. His writing on attraction & relationships was surprisingly well done also. A very well rounded author!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Just finished my annual re-visit of The Alchemist; probably known well enough but if anyone hasn’t read it… they should.

Now on to the next annual browse, “Be Here Now” by Ram Dass. It’s a little out there but a powerful work, IMO.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by csheehy View Post
    I am in the middle of that series, and enjoying it tremendously. Wynne's first three novels were excellent. I think you'll like Nealan's Gray War series. You should check out his American Praetorians series as well. Similar to Gray War but takes place several years earlier, no common characters.
    Yep, that's the first of his series I read, and I really enjoyed it, too. I need to go back and give his Brannigan's Blackhearts series a try, too. I started the first one a few years ago but didn't get too into it and set it aside.

Site Supporter
    Starting
    The New Makers of Modern Strategy: From the Ancient World to the Digital Age

800 pages - should keep me occupied for a bit. A catch up from my military history elective back in 1967. Got a "B in the course, during the days when you just didn't get an A and a B was a good grade. Did get an A on the final paper.

Also: India: A History. Revised and Updated A History. Revised and Updated
    Keay, John, Grove Press

Really don't know much about their history.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

User Tag List