Page 88 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn. Great fantasy writing, really good. Rereading it tonight, no idea how many times I’ve read the whole series. @Rapid Butterfly
    #RESIST

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Thanks.

Speeding my way thru Kloos’ Terms of Enlistment series. On the third book. It appears audible narration comes with all 5 books in the series if you have kindle unlimited. Pretty rad if you enjoy military sci fi. There are some lacunae and plot / device holes, but I’m enjoying them a lot.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Brandon Sanderson, Mistborn. Great fantasy writing, really good. Rereading it tonight, no idea how many times I’ve read the whole series. @Rapid Butterfly
    I strongly concur. It's one of the few fantasy series that's actually surprised me routinely. Mistborn is a fantastic trilogy. If you liked Mistborn you'll probably like Night Angel. They are fairly different story lines but the writing and characters are on par.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Les Miserables is a great book. Well worth the effort.
    I'm through the first five chapters. So far what I've gotten is the bishop is a pretty darned good guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I strongly concur. It's one of the few fantasy series that's actually surprised me routinely. Mistborn is a fantastic trilogy. If you liked Mistborn you'll probably like Night Angel. They are fairly different story lines but the writing and characters are on par.
    Noted, I'll grab Night Angel next. Sanderson can write.
    #RESIST

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I read the first trilogy but never got around to the second.

If you’ve got a lot of time to kill (they’re fairly big books), his Stormlight Archive series is outstanding. He’s only three books into a proposed 10 book series so you’ve got time to catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    flying out on Wednesday and desperately looking to fill up the Kindle. I've been a big fan of Carl Hiassen and James Carlos Blake, but I've pretty much read all their stuff as far as I know.

Anyone have suggestions in that vein?
    I find Elmore Leonard to be a good extension of Hiassen. Hombre is his great western work, Fifty-Two Pickup his early masterpiece, and his later stuff like Get Shorty is like candy.

You might try The Sea Runners by Ivan Doig.
    Not the same neighborhood as Hiassen but a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    You might try The Sea Runners by Ivan Doig.
    Not the same neighborhood as Hiassen but a good story.
    There's a name I haven't heard in a while. The "Montana Trilogy" (English Creek, etc.) is a worthy read as well. But about as far from Hiaasen as Cormac McCarthy from Raymond Chandler.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I read the first trilogy but never got around to the second.

If you’ve got a lot of time to kill (they’re fairly big books), his Stormlight Archive series is outstanding. He’s only three books into a proposed 10 book series so you’ve got time to catch up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Second one isn't as good, IMO. Especially the first one. It's still a good read, mind you, just not on the same level.

User Tag List