Page 232 of 235 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    After having read "Doc" by Mary Doria Russell some years back...(about the life of "Doc" Holliday), I forgot that she wrote a second companion volume, "Epitaph" which completes the tale of Holliday and the Earps.

Just started "Epitaph" a day or so back, and enjoying it so far. Gives much more background information about the lives of the characters we followed through the saga of "Tombstone".

(Got lucky the other day and picked up the Kindle version for $2.99. Don't know if that special is still available...but sign in and see.)
    Thank you Sir.
    Both of these are available through my local library's online (Kindle) lending program. (Overdrive).
    As I'm having ortho surgery tomorrow I now have something that looks interesting to read as I convalesce.

After having read "Doc" by Mary Doria Russell some years back...(about the life of "Doc" Holliday), I forgot that she wrote a second companion volume, "Epitaph" which completes the tale of Holliday and the Earps.

Just started "Epitaph" a day or so back, and enjoying it so far. Gives much more background information about the lives of the characters we followed through the saga of "Tombstone".

(Got lucky the other day and picked up the Kindle version for $2.99. Don't know if that special is still available...but sign in and see.)

They’re both great books. I enjoyed reading both of them.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

CG 41332

I'm not sure what I think about this one. Framed around the 1977 capsizing of the Coast Guard 41' Utility Boat CG 41332 and the loss of three of its crew, it is intentionally divided internally into three books. The quality across those three books is schizophrenic.

The first book details the history of Surfmen from the US Life-Saving Service, through its merger with the Revenue Cutter Service to become the Coast Guard, and on to the period just before the accident. There is some really fascinating history here told with good pace. Somewhere around 4 out 5 stars.

The second book pulls into tighter focus with a different narrative style. Shocking (or maybe not considering the period) in the maintenance, material, and training deficiencies at hand, it turns harrowing as the crew is trapped in rising water in a compartment on a capsized boat battered in the breakers of the Columbia River Bar. After the loss, it follows the joint Coast Guard - Navy salvage effort to recover the now sunken boat and the accident investigation. This was the first Coast Guard boat accident to follow an investigation methodology borrowed from aircraft crash investigations. The narrative falters towards the end but still somewhere around 4 out 5 stars though weaker than book 1 and trending a bit down.

The third book adopts yet another narrative style as it follows the changes adopted by the Coast Guard post the 41332 accident. Here the wheels come off. The writing is disjointed, a bit rambling, and feels like a series of blog postings. The links the author tries to draw between the 41332 accident and changes made don't really click either. While the changes match recommendations of the accident investigation, the fact they came 1 to 2 decades later, and only after similar accidents, really weakens the argument. Other changes cited have no linkage at all though they bring us current on the Surfman community circa 2023. I almost didn't finish the 3rd book. Let's call it 2 out of 5 stars.

I'm pretty sure this was self-published by the author. He would have been well served by an editor. Overall let's say 3 out of 5 stars. Just not sure if I would recommend it or not.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Enjoying the Harry Starke series by Blair Howard. It was advertised as a series for people who liked John Sandford’s ‘Prey’ books. Not as much depth as the Davenport books but better gun handling and nomenclature.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I started reading "Doc" by Mary Doria Russell last night. Thanks @blues
    I had a couple of other books to finish first. This one is off to a great start!

I have a question for the group. Probably a dumb question, wouldn't be my first, and won't be my last...

I don't have a copy of Paul Kirchner's "Tales of the Stakeout Squad". I read on Back Woods Home Magazine in an article, I think by Mas, that it was available on Gunbroker.
    Google and Gunbroker led me to a listing my the seller "Stayingamused" out of Bethany, CT.
    Have any of you purchased from this seller or via this method?
    In the description it says seller will contact buyer by email and you can pay by check or Paypal.
    Being technologically challenged I'm unsure about this.

$25.00 is a decent price compared to the used book listing I've found using Google.

Any info or thoughts/suggestions?

@Jamie

I would reach out to Paul directly and he may be able to have you send PayPal directly to him if he has copies available:
    Contact

Email: paul@paulkirchner.com

I know that I bought my copy directly from him...and had a nice correspondence with him for a short period of time about common experiences back in the day.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

@Jamie

I would reach out to Paul directly and he may be able to have you send PayPal directly to him if he has copies available:
    Contact

Email: paul@paulkirchner.com

I know that I bought my copy directly from him...and had a nice correspondence with him for a short period of time about common experiences back in the day.
    Thank you!

I thought I recalled this being mentioned on PF before.

I'll email him momentarily and hope he has some in stock.

Much appreciated.

My pleasure, friend.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    https://www.amazon.com/Women-Novel-K.../dp/1250178630

The Women, by Kristin Hanna. It's a novel mostly about one young woman who was a combat nurse in Vietnam. The section where she was in Vietnam and the ending are solid. The part where she spirals afterwards from PTSD and lack of support of family (her father told everyone that she was studying in Italy), less so.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Received a tracking number from Mr. Kirchner already @blues.

Seems like a very nice gentleman.

Thanks again. Very smooth transaction.

User Tag List