Page 225 of 235 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,250 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Agreed- "Shadow Divers" is excellent. Very Cool story , and Kurson does a masterful job of telling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson.

Wreck divers find an unknown U-Boat 230 feet down. It toox six years to find an artifact that identified it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dtw View Post
    Agreed- "Shadow Divers" is excellent. Very Cool story , and Kurson does a masterful job of telling it.
    That was an excellent read. Despite the fact that it's been nearly 20 years since I read it, some things that I still vividly remember...

• The number of deaths associated with the wreck
    • The 'mindset' of wreck divers and wreck diving in general
    • The great lengths they went to and risks taken to solve the mystery of the 'Uh-who?'

Side note, the final foray into the wreck when they found what was needed to identity the wreck (and I won't spoil it) could easily be an entry in our "Nope" thread.

-Rainman

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson.

Wreck divers find an unknown U-Boat 230 feet down. It toox six years to find an artifact that identified it.
    Another book written by Kurson regarding diving and John Chatterton

Name:  pirate hunters.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  56.4 KB

Pirate hunter

https://www.amazon.com/Pirate-Hunter...3954702&sr=1-8

Chattertons wife during the Shadow Divers time period was a professional shooter
    Don’t just sit there – do something short sighted and stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    GTT was scratched onto doors by men on the run from the law or feuding neighbors to let their families know that they were "Gone To Texas", and likely wouldn't be coming back..
    I hadn't even thought of reading this but it sounds right up my alley.

Found on Amazon and ordered. Thank you!

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    That was an excellent read. Despite the fact that it's been nearly 20 years since I read it, some things that I still vividly remember...

• The number of deaths associated with the wreck
    • The 'mindset' of wreck divers and wreck diving in general
    • The great lengths they went to and risks taken to solve the mystery of the 'Uh-who?'

Side note, the final foray into the wreck when they found what was needed to identity the wreck (and I won't spoil it) could easily be an entry in our "Nope" thread.
    John Chatterton is very lucky/skilled that he didn't end up as the fourth diver to die on that wreck. it probably would have remained the U-Who if he had.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Shattered Sword: The untold Story of the Battle of Midway. By Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully. Highly recommended.
    I cringe when I see "untold story" or "behind the scenes" but this title is accurate, and the book is not some nutty revision of history.
    They look at Midway from the Japanese perspective with a deep dive into how their naval history and culture shaped the decisions that were made by the Japanese commanders.
    They also go deeply into Japanese carrier layout and technology, and how this limited their options in responding to new intel as the battle developed.
    I've read a lot of naval history, and this was still a worthwhile addition to my library.
    Published in 2005 so apologies if it's already been covered here.
    Parshall is a frequent guest on the "Unauthorized History of the Pacific War" podcast. Their pacing is rather slow, more like some buddies BSing about history instead of a focused presentation but it's still pretty good when you need to pass some time. https://www.youtube.com/@UnauthorizedHistoryPacificWar

I haven't read the "Pirate Hunter" book yet, but John Mattera, one of the subjects , wrote both a handgun and a shotgun
    instructional book.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    https://www.amazon.com/Talent-War-Ja.../dp/0441012175

Science fiction 'historical fiction mystery' sort of book. Story is good, but not great. What is great, IMO, is the world building and the writing style. Story really picks up in the last 1/3 of the book, but the writing itself is rock solid throughout.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Talent-War-Ja.../dp/0441012175

Science fiction 'historical fiction mystery' sort of book. Story is good, but not great. What is great, IMO, is the world building and the writing style. Story really picks up in the last 1/3 of the book, but the writing itself is rock solid throughout.
    McDevitt wrote the definitive realistic "First Contact" novel in the 80s:The Hercules Text.
    An ancient beacon from a long extinct civilization is detected at the EM "water hole" by radio telescopes. Amid great controversy and furor the message is slowly decoded.
    It's not an invitation to join the Federation or the secret to FTL, it's a remembrance from a dying race sent out like a message in a bottle, on a sea without a shore.
    Hauntingly beautiful and melancholy.

So...I'm not really a sci-fi reader but for rare exceptions, like the "Three Body Problem" trilogy and a few others...but the other day, not being able to decide what to read, I picked up "Terms of Enlistment" by Marko Kloos.

Kind of surprised that halfway through the book I'm still enjoying it. So, I know I've got another half to go, but is the rest of the series worth pursuing if I manage to get through the second half as happily as the first?

(And what about his other work?)

I've never read Heinlein's "Starship Troopers" which the Kloos book is compared to often, but I have a copy so might look at it down the road as well.

Thanks guys. You know a lot more about this genre than I do, so I appreciate the input.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List