Page 47 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Varg Freeborn recently released his first book: Violence of Mind

Attachment 24477

It touches on several topics pertaining to violence such as defining your mission, self control, the aftermath of violence and training. I purchased two physical copies with the intention of passing around the second book to people that share an interest in self defense. While I haven't read that many books on this topic and considering I'm only halfway through it, I can say this is one of those books someone who wants to carry a gun or wishes to be LE should absolutely take the time to read. What I like about the book in particular is that there isn't any scientific mumbo jumbo and is easily digestable for the average person which is something he did on purpose. That and the book reads as if Varg is speaking to you if that makes any sense.

There's also a kindle version that was released a few days ago
    If you have Kindle Unlimited you can read it for free. I just downloaded it.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    If you have Kindle Unlimited you can read it for free. I just downloaded it.
    You will not be dissapointed. His patreon page is full of good information and he does these podcasts with his patreon supporters with one of them discussing the book with a couple of LE guys on. You should check it out.

For those that geeked out in the 80s, Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Yes, yes, you could just watch the movie. We all know that the books is always better than the movie.

Anyways, sci-fi virtual reality, with endless 80s references to movies, songs, and video games. I read it, and pulled up the referenced games and songs and movies on youtube while I read it. It's a fast and fun read, and it's like a trip down memory lane.

From the graphic novel front, read and re-read "Gotham Central". Basically, "Homicide: Life on the Streets" in the Batman universe.

I've also picked up Thomas Sowell's "Black Rednecks and White Liberals". Pretty interesting.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Currently reading Travels With Barley A Journey Through Beer Culture, by Ken Wells.

It's his search for good beer and the best barroom in the US of A.

Wells used to write for the Wall Street Journal and has written some novels.
    I had never run across him before.

He does write some on beers I will not drink, like Bud Lite, but also covers a lot of craft beers and
    the folks who make them.

Rereading "Ready Player One" before the movie comes out. Good stuff.
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

AmazonSmile: Rough Riders: Theodore Roosevelt, His Cowboy Regiment, and the Immortal Charge Up San Juan Hill eBook: Mark Lee Gardner: Kindle Store

Interesting account of The Rough Riders and their war.

One interesting thing to me was the account of what was yet to be called "Fake News": Theodore Roosevelt (he hated being called "Teddy") seemed to garner all the press, and although he always emphasized the troops over himself, and was careful to give credit to the rest of the Army, he also loved the limelight, which generated a lot of hostility. There were constant attacks on him, including claims that neither he or the Rough Riders were even at San Juan Hill. TR (his preferred nickname, although I forget where I first learned that) explained in his own memoirs that "San Juan Hill" was actually a long ridge, that there were three major blockhouse installations on it, and that his battle was only one of them.
    Last edited by Drang; 03-20-2018 at 04:00 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by bravo7 View Post
    About Face.
    and
    Steel My Soldiers Hearts.

Col David Hackworth
    About Face is one of my all-time faves.

Hackworth was also a war correspondent in the 90s for NewsWeek. I read in another piece -- not sure in a book or magazine article -- his take on the Croatian War of Independence. Never knew how much an influence French anti-armor weaponary had on the final outcome of that war. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, About Face is a must read.

Let me add my own recommendation:

Little America: The War Within the War for Afghanistan
    by Rajiv Chandrasekaran

Pretty good insight on the difficulty, or rather inability, of anyone making substantial lasting improvements in Afghanistan.

I'm presently about half way through reading The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey about this expedition through the Amazon rainforest in 1913. It's a really interesting story and very well written, I'm blazing through it because I can't put it down. If you're in to TR or old school adventure / exploration type sagas, this is a pretty good book so far.
    Full disclosure: I am a freelance professional photographer/cinematographer for the firearms and defense industry, among others.

Just finished Ghettoside by Jill Leovy. She was embedded in the South LA homicide unit for several years and follows several detectives. It was a fascinating window to urban violence. Not surprisingly, she never once blamed guns as the cause, but the cultural and legal failings of that area. They call it the Monster.

Utmost respect for these detectives.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

User Tag List