Page 170 of 233 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220 ... LastLast
Results 1,691 to 1,700 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

Fathers and Son – A Terminal List Story

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

I just re-read Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. I think the commercials for Clarice got to me. I must say these books have held up surprisingly well. The gun stuff is actually pretty decent for the time period - certainly not a focus of the story, but was well informed when written...though the mention of Glaser Safety Slugs makes me cringe a bit.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Squeeze Me by Carl Hiassen

Spoiler and content

If you like his books about the weird folks of Florida, this is a good light read and very funny. Deals with pythons, crazy Florida men and women, satire on current politics. Has one of my favorite characters, the one-eyed looney ex-governor Skink.

Warning - it is not positive if you are a Donald fan as an obvious character savages him in a quite funny manner. I don't recommend it because of that, it is just funny.

One silly put on the safety of Glock passage.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I just re-read Red Dragon and The Silence of the Lambs. I think the commercials for Clarice got to me. I must say these books have held up surprisingly well. The gun stuff is actually pretty decent for the time period - certainly not a focus of the story, but was well informed when written...though the mention of Glaser Safety Slugs makes me cringe a bit.
    I can reread Thomas Harris anytime, my favorite is Black Sunday. Shocking that it’s only $4.99. I believe it’s being made into a movie for TV.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I can reread Thomas Harris anytime, my favorite is Black Sunday. Shocking that it’s only $4.99. I believe it’s being made into a movie for TV.
    The movie with Robert Shaw is really good.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    The movie with Robert Shaw is really good.
    Except the ending.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I finished "We Have No Idea", a book that's basically about the current limits of physics research. Then Gladwell's "David and Goliath", which I rather enjoyed. I started "Behave" which is about the biology of the human body under stress. After reading the introduction and about half of the first chapter I took such an intense dislike to the author that I couldn't get any further. Not just the writing style, but the author as a person.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

"The Last Traverse" https://www.amazon.com/Traverse-Trag.../dp/1734930837is just out from the author of "Where You'll find Me" https://www.amazon.com/Where-Youll-F.../dp/0996218157

Excellent account of a winter hike gone wrong and the search and rescue operation that followed.

I've found both of these books helpful in thinking about how I make decisions about outdoor activities. It's not just "they made a poor choice" -- it's trying to understand why, and how I might avoid some of traps.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    "The Last Traverse" https://www.amazon.com/Traverse-Trag.../dp/1734930837is just out from the author of "Where You'll find Me" https://www.amazon.com/Where-Youll-F.../dp/0996218157

Excellent account of a winter hike gone wrong and the search and rescue operation that followed.

I've found both of these books helpful in thinking about how I make decisions about outdoor activities. It's not just "they made a poor choice" -- it's trying to understand why, and how I might avoid some of traps.
    @peterb

Some years ago my buddies and I would do an annual ascent of Mt. Washington in the White Mountains' Presidential Range on Washington's Birthday.

One year when we went up, I'm guessing somewhere in the late 70's or early 80's, there were three deaths on the mountain while we were up there that weekend.

Winter backpacking in the Whites and Adirondacks, (and back country of Yosemite) is no joke for the unprepared, that's for sure.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    @peterb

Some years ago my buddies and I would do an annual ascent of Mt. Washington in the White Mountains' Presidential Range on Washington's Birthday.

One year when we went up, I'm guessing somewhere in the late 70's or early 80's, there were three deaths on the mountain while we were up there that weekend.

Winter backpacking in the Whites and Adirondacks, (and back country of Yosemite) is no joke for the unprepared, that's for sure.
    *thread drift*

As the author points out, the Whites are chronically underestimated because they're relatively small (compered to Rockies/Sierras/etc.)and so easily accessible. The trailheads are right off I-93 just three or four hours from Boston. How bad can it be? It's hard to grasp that some of the worst weather in the world is so close to a major urban center.

A fair number of the fatalities aren't in winter -- it's folks above treeline on a nice summer day when the weather suddenly goes bad, they're not prepared, and they get hypothermic before they can find shelter. When it's sunny and 70s at the base of Washington you see folks heading up in t-shirts carrying not much more than a granola bar and a water bottle. They just don't know what they don't know.

Not Without Peril https://www.amazon.com/Not-Without-P.../dp/1934028320 is the standard history of fatal incidents in the Whites.

User Tag List