Page 61 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Sweet Silver Blues (Garret PI series) by Glen Cook. I saw this recommended on FB. I just finished it. I liked it and I’ve started reading the second in the series. It’s a private eye/fantasy series.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Silver-...t+silver+blues
    I read the first two BA (Before Amazon). I enjoyed them.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    I'm going to give the Wylde series a whirl. Thanks!
    Can't go wrong with Wynne. I finally broke down and got a Kindle just so I could read his newest stuff that are only available in e-format. Damned if I'm not becoming a Kindle fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    A Yankee Private's Civil War by Robert Hale Strong. I got a copy by interlibrary loan, as the hardcover edition is long out of print. A paperback and Kindle edition were released a few years go.

I think anyone interested in that war should seriously consider reading the book. Especially for the part at the end when the returning soldiers were one provocation away from burning Chicago to the ground.
    Just finishing this book. Awesome read, thought it was very well written. Thank you Steph.

Probably the best the best book I've read this year.

Great insight into:

1. The Civil War
    2. War as fought by an infantryman 150 years ago.
    3. Life in America 150 years ago
    4. A 19 year old's perspective
    Last edited by Cheap Shot; 10-08-2018 at 09:34 AM.

Another good book in the same vein is "All For The Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes"

I have always been impressed with both the penmanship and the clarity with which folks expressed themselves during those bygone years. (Not that these books represent the norm. Nonetheless...impressive for their though provoking scope.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

With your taste for sci-fi I believe you would thoroughly enjoy the Charles Stross "Laundry" series. The Laundry being the arm of British Intelligence that deals with gibbering horrors who somehow make it into our plain of existence and Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series, about the arm of the British Metropolitan Police that deals with some very sinister magicians. I highly recommend the Grant series be listened to in audio book form as Kobna Holdbrook-Smith, the narrator, is amazingly talented. Two of my favorite 'mind-candy' confections!
    Thank you I will definitely look at it!

ETA I bought the first book of each series.
    Last edited by Coyotesfan97; 10-09-2018 at 01:52 AM.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Over the Top by Arthur Empey is available on Project Gutenberg. It was a million-plus bestseller in 1917, when the population was a third of what it is today.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

@FNFAN Thanks again for the Peter Grant series recommendation. I’m currently reading the binge reading third in the series. I haven’t even looked at Landry yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    @FNFAN Thanks again for the Peter Grant series recommendation. I’m currently reading the binge reading third in the series. I haven’t even looked at Landry yet.
    Cool man! Glad you're enjoying the series. I still suggest just giving the first book, Midnight Riot, a listen on Audible. The narrator is extremely talented. You'll be hooked.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Cool man! Glad you're enjoying the series. I still suggest just giving the first book, Midnight Riot, a listen on Audible. The narrator is extremely talented. You'll be hooked.
    I listened to the sample and bought it. PF costs me more money...again. Probably cuz the mods are shit. Good stuff!

I'm enjoying On The Border With Crook by John G. Bourke. The book was first
    published in 1891 and republished in 2104 by Skyhorse Publications.

Bourke was a Cavalry Lt serving in the campaign against the Apaches in Arizona.
    He respected the Apaches as adversaries, trackers, and irregular fighters. He didn't have a lot of good stuff
    to say about the way the U.S. govt managed the reservations. He later fought against the Sioux and Cheyannes
    and complimented them on their horsemanship.

I knew a bit about Crook before but Rourke's book amplified what I'd read. Crook was a hunter, a fine shot, and sometimes provided game meat to feed the troops at his posts. Not a spit and polish guy, he wore hunting clothes
    more than the uniform it seems. He also put great store in logistics and kept the mules of the pack trains in good condition (whenever possible.) He fought a lot of winter engagements and they helped break the will of the Apaches.

Some the older books are written in a more florid style. Bourke did not indulge in that style of prose much.
    Very readable book.

User Tag List