Page 187 of 235 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I've read a lot of stuff by Patrick McManus, but I didn't know that he had written some mysteries late in his career. The first one was pretty good.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I've read a lot of stuff by Patrick McManus, but I didn't know that he had written some mysteries late in his career. The first one was pretty good.
    He’s given me some side splitting laughter. I need to reread some books.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

I love those! My children grew up with tales about Rancid Crabtree and Retch Sweeney as bedtime stories.

Now that my granddaughter is nearly ten, she still loves it when she spends a weekend with PawPaw and we read them together.

Name:  750A99B5-69D7-4256-BC91-59EAE1F9978D.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  34.1 KB
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    Finished Zero Fail on the Secret Service. Not in my lane to evaluate what the author said but it was a pretty critical take on them. If I were the President, I'd carry a Glock 19.

I read through the series. They're all good.

One recurring line:

Deputy sheriff: "This could be dangerous."

Sheriff Tully: "What's your point?"
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I read through the series. They're all good.

One recurring line:

Deputy sheriff: "This could be dangerous."

Sheriff Tully: "What's your point?"
    In my earlier decades I read all his books (several times) from his Outdoor Life/Field & Stream days

I finished the 1st of the series and have the 2nd and 3rd stacked up and ready to read. His humor seems slightly more sophisticated and dryer with just a touch more social commentary on rural life tossed in for the detective series. Great read, and thank you!

I just realized he's one of the few authors I've read for over SIX decades. When and how did this happen

Young Men and Fire

https://www.amazon.com/Young-Men-Fir.../dp/0226500624

Trapped between a rapidly advancing wall of flames and a steep ridge, foreman Robert "Wag" Dodge does the unthinkable and lights a separate fire, ordering his crew to lie down in its hot ashes. Dodge survives, but no one follows him. Two of the 15 others manage to escape through a narrow gap in the crown of rocks at the ridge, but 13 ultimately perish - perhaps, as some parents allege in lawsuits, trapped between the Mann Gulch fire and Dodge's own fire.

Norman Maclean, the author of A River Runs Through It, attempts to find the truth behind the deaths of these 12 young smoke jumpers & 1 fire fighter in the 1949 Mann Gulch fire. Maclean worked on this book for decades, but died before finishing so this lacks some of the polish you might otherwise expect. Still, this was an excellent read and a thorough examination of all the factors that lead up to this tragedy.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 06-11-2021 at 11:58 PM.

Site Supporter
    I did not know that he wrote mysteries. I see my library has a copy.

Does Strange make an appearance?

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    I did not know that he wrote mysteries. I see my library has a copy.

Does Strange make an appearance?
    No.

User Tag List