Page 219 of 235 FirstFirst ... 119169209217218219220221229 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,190 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post

I do think I've read every Abbey book.
    Tagging in more appropriate thread. While Abbey isn't the author, this is a great tale of two opposites and their respective contributions to conservation and literature.

Every work by David Gessner I have approached so far I have found enlightening and entertaining.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Got Stuart Woods' (not him, he's dead, someone else) Near Miss from the library on CD. Couldn't finish it. Starts with the usual Stone getting involved with a woman with a bad boy friend who tries to kill Stone. Idiotic plot as BF quickly learns that Stone is friends with the NYPD Commissioner, has a history of killing quite a few people, BF of Potus, etc. Sends some guy from the gym. Stone acts like a total incompetent - wait, didn't he go through CIA or SF training awhile ago. Can't shoot, won't carry. Let's a guy just walk up and hit him in the head. Switches to the Russians chasing him and of course, they hire the typical book super duper assassin. So I just listen to the last disc. Stone is going to a party and knows he will be targeted. There are tremendous layers of security from NYPD and Strategic Services. They are all red shirted by the super duper dude and Stone has to be saved by his own shooting, GF shooting and Teddy Fay infiltratring Super Duper Assassin's squad. Totally ridiculous. If I had paid for this, I would be annoyed.
    Cloud Yeller of the Boomer Age

I just finished the "Long War" series by Christian Cameron. I really enjoyed them as well as his "Chivalry" series.

https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Vengean...t%2C107&sr=1-1

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant.

Nonfiction account of a gigantic Siberian (Amur) tiger as serial killer in the almost unbelievable setting of the post-Soviet Russian Far East. Not to be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrotechnic View Post
    I just finished the "Long War" series by Christian Cameron. I really enjoyed them as well as his "Chivalry" series.
    Check out the Tom Swan series of novellas next.
    Swan is not a professional Knight, his real interest is in history, languages and scholarship of the ancient world. But as a bastard son he finds himself captured in France and kneeling in a line, watching the French working their way along cutting the throats of men too poor to be ransomed, and waiting his turn.
    When a refugee Greek Cardinal walks the line blessing the soon to be executed Swan calls out to him in Greek, and with some fast talking and selective editing of the truth finds himself briefly spared.
    The Cardinal finds him intriguing and soon he has the very dangerous job of going to war torn areas and locating, buying or stealing artifacts and books from ancient Rome and Greece.
    This leads us on a tour of the Near East during the time of the rebirth of interest in the art, history and learning that resulted in the European Renaissance.
    Cameron's signature technical recreation of arms and armor, the brutality of the mindset of the day and the reconstruction of feudal society's power structures in transition are fascinating as usual.

I know I’m late to the party on this, but the Killing series by Bill O’Reilly is new to me. As in I just started reading them. Been looking at them forever. Finished Killing the SS and Killing Kennedy in the last week. Good stuff. Reading Killing the Rising Sun right now with Killing Reagan and Killing Lincoln next in line.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Close Quarters by Larry Heinemann. It’s fiction about a soldier named Phillip Dozier in a mechanized platoon with M113 ACAVs. It’s one of my favorite Vietnam novels. I still have the battered copy I bought at the ASU bookstore back in the late 80s and I have it on Kindle. I read it once a year.
    I wonder if the shade of Mr. Heinemann is smiling about the fact that, over fifty years on, M113s are doing good service in Ukraine.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I wonder if the shade of Mr. Heinemann is smiling about the fact that, over fifty years on, M113s are doing good service in Ukraine.
    The Ghost of Cowcatcher carries on.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

For a while I've been trying to remember where I read the ending paragraph as a kid - this was the novel. I was a total book worm in elementary school when reading was still for fun, knocked out Moby Dick in a day, and did this one shortly after, just didn't retain much except the excerpt about the compass directions changing.

Glad I picked it from the library.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Tiger-Vengean...t%2C107&sr=1-1

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant.

Nonfiction account of a gigantic Siberian (Amur) tiger as serial killer in the almost unbelievable setting of the post-Soviet Russian Far East. Not to be missed.
    I second this.
    "It was the fuck aroundest of times, it was the find outest of times."- 45dotACP

User Tag List