Page 138 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2330

Thread: Book Recommendations

Site Supporter
    Name:  VampiresWWII.png
Views: 416
Size:  83.1 KB
    Vampires of World War Two
    This a short story about a fictional classified operation by the British Government during WWII. Though fictional, it is amusingly plausible, reminding me of the next book I'll recommend.

Site Supporter
    Name:  Mincemeat.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  22.5 KB
    Operation Mincemeat.
    This is the true story of a classified operation by British Intelligence to convince Hitler that the allied invasion would take place at Calais. I read this more that ten years ago, but the short story above reminded me of it.

Site Supporter
    Name:  SoldiersOfFreedom.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  26.8 KB
    Soldiers of Freedom: The WWII Story of Patton's Panthers and the Edelweiss Pirates.

4 of 5 stars

Compelling and disturbing, this is a story of humanity in the face of inhumanity, equity in the face of bigotry, and courage in the face of cowardice.
    I’m not familiar with either Patton’s Black Panthers or the Edelweiss Pirates, but the parts of the book I was knowledgeable about were accurately portrayed. I feel confident the others parts were also faithfully represented.
    We start out with the racism and bigotry faced by Black Soldiers from their own troops and country. But we watch as they find their reason to fight, and develop the well deserved pride they feel over their service. Concurrently we watch as a 16-year-old girl can’t accept what her country is becoming nor the actions of so many of her countrymen. Disgust turns into resistance and eventually a fight for survival.
    My only complaint is the author is so determined to get in so many technical details and minutia, that the action drags. Many times it comes off more as a history text rather than an action novel. While it is a bit of a long slog, it is worth the read. I recommend this book.

Under and alone: the true story of the undercover agent who infiltrated America's most violent motorcycle gang by William Queen

Just finished this book. Pretty interesting, I knocked it out in a couple days. The author was a special agent with the BATFE and went undercover in the Mongols motorcycle gang for over 2 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    NYPD: A City and Its Police by James Lardner and Thomas Reppetto. It covers the history of the NYPD from its inception to the end of the 20th Century. Reppetto passed recently; I learned about the book when I read his obit.

It's interesting, but it seems to lose a little steam after 1975.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Name:  53B05CB4-9208-4057-9B8E-D77FF0918248.jpeg
Views: 312
Size:  42.2 KB

I enjoyed it. For better or worse, I’m hooked on these now and will keep reading. Not quite as good as the first.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

The Last Emperox - Scalzi

Name:  D00C3797-AE9E-4D9A-B1A6-3DA811D85099.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  47.1 KB

Reasonably tasty sci fi junk food snack which sometimes tries too hard, but you’d grab another one if offered.

Any time there’s rioting, I think of Terry Pratchett’s “Night Watch”.

A Memory Called Empire
    Name:  51+iwrW3ztL.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  35.0 KB
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

An interesting book, a bit less action than I usually go for in my Sci-fi, but refreshingly new enough and with a well ordered flow that I am looking forward to the sequel. (although my wife tells me the author poached a key plot mechanism from Star Trek)

The Snakehead: An Epic Tale of the Chinatown Underworld and the American Dream
    Name:  51g77cLOkQL.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  45.3 KB

Good non-fiction about a lot of the pathways and patterns behind Chinese migration to the US. It's an older book, but relevant again.

In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin
    Name:  51toRqFyFrL.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  44.4 KB

Also good non-fiction. Very timely, and spurs those mental questions "what would I do when..."

Gideon the Ninth
    Name:  51EouKph8NL.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  33.6 KB

Sci-fantasty, a fun take on a locked room mystery, but really kinda hard to pin down by genre. I have already pre-ordered the sequel.

@JDD ... I recently listened to Gideon the Ninth and all I can say is that I'm very excited to continue the series. It was unlike anything I had read before and I thoroughly enjoyed the uniqueness of it... Weird and quirky in all the best ways.

User Tag List