Page 45 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595145 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    There was a TV mini-series back in the 70s.
    Could be that is the source of my recollection, though it wouldn't be the first time I picked up a book that I hadn't realized I'd read previously.
    In any case, it's a good story and I'm enjoying it (again).
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    The Rook and Stiletto by O'Malley. Both books are of the supernatural law enforcement agencies - these are in England. These are in England and have a different take and interesting enemy. Not the standard genre plot.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm in the midst of reading it now. (It seems somewhat familiar so I may have read it years ago but enjoying either way.)
    That’s my favorite book of all time. The tv shows and movies don’t do the book justice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    That’s my favorite book of all time. The tv shows and movies don’t do the book justice.

My biggest criticism is that the characters are drawn a bit too one dimensionally. Doesn't ruin the story or the "moral" but at times I wince a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    My biggest criticism is that the characters are drawn a bit too one dimensionally. Doesn't ruin the story or the "moral" but at times I wince a bit.
    I think that is important to the point of the book. When you read the poem (the the title comes from), and then read the end, I think the book is a lot about “one dimensional, straightforward, America” eventually loosing itself to itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    I think that is important to the point of the book. When you read the poem (the the title comes from), and then read the end, I think the book is a lot about “one dimensional, straightforward, America” eventually loosing itself to itself.

Thanks. It'll be a while until I finish as I'm reading a couple other books as well. Maybe we can discuss it further at that point.

BTW, have you read "Matterhorn"? I highly recommend it. Highly. (There's a handful of other novels of this genre I can recommend as well.)

Love his lectures and interviews. Very sharp man.
    12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FPGY5T0..._SrwAAbJXNXSZF

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    My latest novel is out. This one is a political Thriller that takes place in my hone town of Gillett Arkansas. The main character, Gibb, is pretty well based on my father.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WG9VVR
    Name:  MUD-Cover_My Site.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  39.2 KB
    Last edited by Bigguy; 01-25-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    To my utter astonishment, some of Sven Hassel's books are available in Kindle format.
    Well, if that post didn't make people wonder about my taste in "literature", this will: The 1980s pulp action thriller series "They Call Me The Mercenary is also available on Kindle.
    The series as originally published just listed "Axel Kilgore" as the author, now some of them list Jerry Ahern as author or co-author.
    I recall an article somewhere that reviewed the genre as it stood at the time, these, Mack Bolan, The Destroyer, etc -- and concluded that these seemed to treat the nuts 'n' bolts and gritty details of being a mercenary, not to mention weaponry, in a more realistic way, or at least with greater verisimilitude. (If I use ten dollar words do I get some slack for reading the male version of bodice rippers?)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

With Korea in the news, and having recently read The Frozen Hours, I decided to re-read This Kind of War by TR Fehrenbach. Definitely one of the best military histories ever written, and as relevant today as when it was first released.

My only complaint is the Kindle edition, which would have benefitted from someone proof-reading and running 'spell-check'. Far too many typos and errors.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List