Page 65 of 233 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JDD View Post
    I am sorry you did not enjoy Consider Phlebas, but I would strongly reccomend you give the other books a try. One thing that helped me with Ian M Banks (his Culture books, not the other ones) was to treat the entire series as stand-alone novels in the same universe.

In that light, "Player of Games" and "Excession" are my two favorites, and are both far better to start with than "Consider Phlebas."

WRT Reynolds; I am really looking forward to the sequel to "Revenger" that is dropping on January 15th. He consistently writes good SF, but Revenger was one of my favorites. He is also the author that I had to describe to my wife as: "like hard sci-fi, but more... gothic."
    I followed this advice and Player of Games was absolutely superb. I'm back on board at least trying. Started Use of Weapons last night.

Revenger was just GREAT, reminded me of that one episode of Firefly where the ship gets taken over. I think the new one I already have pre-ordered, it's called Shadow Captain or something like that?

For a more unusual Reynolds I enjoy Century Rain, which was definitely strong into that 'gothic' vibe.

I still think Phlebas had a stupid, pointless ending, but as time has gone on I respect the scale and world-building it established, and I loved the first 90% of the book. That world-building really made Player of Games sing without having to slog through backstory building.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Lethal White by Galbraith who is Rowlings (Harry Potter). Good mystery in UK. Keeps you interested through a long book.

A Perfect Red

A Perfect Red: Empire, Espionage, and the Quest for the Color of Desire

If you enjoyed Charles Mann's 1491 or 1493, give A Perfect Red a try. The book discusses the espionage, piracy, intrigue, adventure, and new science surrounding Europe's attempts to acquire a perfect red dye. Spain found one in Mexico and the rest of Europe wanted it. Badly. The English resorted to piracy. The Dutch tried to create new plantations to produce the dye. Geeks were using the new-fangled microscopes to determine whether the dye was animal or mineral. Guys with big balls were bluffing harbor masters. Gardeners exterminated priceless specimens.

The author does a good job of providing context and weaving in adventure to make for a very readable book.

Site Supporter
    Color Blind - a Jesse Stone book by Coleman.

Not a bad story. A realistic portrayal of Stone's alcoholism. A white supremacy plot that doesn't have a happy ending for all involved. The Stone books after Parker's death are better than the Spenser ones.

I purchased Witchy Winter (Witchy Eye Series Book 2) by DJ Butler. I’m rereading Witchy Eye before starting on Witchy Winter. D.J. Butler also wrote the Rock Band Fights Evil series. I originally bought Witchy Eye during a Larry Correia Book Bomb.

Here’s a blurb about Witchy Eye

A STUNNING BAEN BOOKS DEBUT. A brilliant Americana flintlock fantasy novel set in a world of Appalachian magic that works.

Sarah Calhoun is the fifteen-year-old daughter of the Elector Andrew Calhoun, one of Appalachee’s military heroes and one of the electors who gets to decide who will next ascend as the Emperor of the New World. None of that matters to Sarah. She has a natural talent for hexing and one bad eye, and all she wants is to be left alone—especially by outsiders.

But Sarah’s world gets turned on its head at the Nashville Tobacco Fair when a Yankee wizard-priest tries to kidnap her. Sarah fights back with the aid of a mysterious monk named Thalanes, who is one of the not-quite-human Firstborn, the Moundbuilders of the Ohio. It is Thalanes who reveals to Sarah a secret heritage she never dreamed could be hers.

Now on a desperate quest with Thalanes to claim this heritage, she is hunted by the Emperor’s bodyguard of elite dragoons, as well as by darker things—shapeshifting Mockers and undead Lazars, and behind them a power more sinister still. If Sarah cannot claim her heritage, it may mean the end to her, her family—and to the world where she is just beginning to find her place.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter

Baldacci book - spoilers, other books

Long Road to Mercy by Baldacci.

I have enjoyed some of his books. However, this one not so much. The character is forced to have unusual attributes and back story. The plot is clearly the Donald type trying to establish an autocracy in the USA with a fantastic scheme that our hero just happens to stop. Almost shoot outs between the FBI, ICE and rogue military.

There is a Hannibal Lecter childhood subplot to get you to buy the next book.

If you want more reviews, read the Amazon three stars for a realistic take. That's true with most books and other reviews. The 5s are somehow paid off or in it for fan fanatic glory seeking.

Fade to Black by David Rosenfelt - pretty good mystery.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Color Blind - a Jesse Stone book by Coleman.
    Not a bad story. A realistic portrayal of Stone's alcoholism. A white supremacy plot that doesn't have a happy ending for all involved. The Stone books after Parker's death are better than the Spenser ones.
    For the most part, I can't read books about characters by anyone but the author that created them, save for the homage author that completes an unfinished final book, like Parker did for Chandler. Parker, btw, is one of my all time favorite authors and Spenser was my surrogate father figure in a lot of ways. (Side note to all the children of absentee fathers, don't pick fictional characters to be your roll models, it's fekkin impossible to live up to the standards they set.)

I remember an interview Parker did, with Oprah IIRC, and she asked him who he would like to see finish his final Spenser, should he leave one and he immediately replied: Elmore Leonard. I was bummed that the family picked someone lesser. Same interview, she asks what he would say to his critics and he blew a big raspberry at the camera.

Site Supporter
    The Vince Flynn books are ok as follow ups. The movie was horror (American Assassin).

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The Poison Squad by Deborah Blum. It’s about the fight to bring about pure food and drug laws in the first part of the 20th century. That was a time when American food products were so adulterated that many European countries forbade the importation of such foods. Bourbon and rye whiskeys, at the time, were more often synthetic ethanol, watered down, with flavoring and coloring added. Fruit preserves usually had no fruit in them.

Those who believe that all government regulations are bad and that corporations can always be trusted to do the right thing might want to read some other book.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Those who believe that all government regulations are bad and that corporations can always be trusted to do the right thing might want to read some other book.
    Not really. This is just an example of how government regulations, much like unions, originally served to protect the masses. It was only when special interests found they could be used as political tools to manipulate certain ends that they became corrupted like almost everything else that DC touches.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List