Page 40 of 233 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I just finished Go! Go! Go! about the 1980 SAS operation to end the siege of the Iranian Embassy in Princes Gate. Best $2.99 I've spent on Kindle. Excellent book - full of details on the operation. Great companion to the movie Six Days.
    It made me appreciate how much detail was in the movie, right down to red/blue tape on gas mask canisters.

Greg Ellefritz recommended this Behave: The Biology of Humans at Our Best and Worst so I downloaded a sample, which is good enough that I'll buy the book.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

For some hard sci-fi I recommend "Vignettes of the Star Empire" by Alistair Young. Mr. Young has created a universe called the "Eldraeverse" in which you have weakly god-like creatures, civilizations that have undergone a Vingian Technological Singularity, and other civilizationss that are on the verge of the same. The book itself is a well-written series of bite-sized stories (including a futuristic version of the infamous Skippy List and a rather humorous mention of the Kzinti Lesson), the author has an encyclopedic knowledge of hard math and science which he uses to come up with plausible versions of well-established sci-fi hypertechnology and their related tropes.

For those who like that kind of sci-fi, I highly recommend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911guy View Post
    Yeah, but you look like a tactical hobo in flip flops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A world without violence is about as likely as a world where I get to, um, "date" at least 3 A-list actresses and/or supermodels every single day. Ain't happening.

Do you like John Sandford's cop stories about Lucas Davenport and that fuckin' Virgil Flowers?
    Do you like science fiction?

If so, try 'Saturn Run'. I figure Sandford did the quirky characters and Ctein did the spaceships.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

You can't find it on Kindle, but if you're into science fiction google "The Last Angel". There's just some random person on the internet writing it, but holy crap. I heard about it right when book 1 finished, so I started reading, and pretty much accomplished nothing else that weekend while I read the whole story and all of the commentary. It had been a long time since I'd read a fiction book that got that much of an emotional response from me. Author is now about midway through book 2 and just posted a new chapter. It's rare to find a book where the antagonists are portrayed so realistically.

I've never read anything but this person's posts on the hosting site so I can't speak to anything going on there, other than the nerdiness is strong. But it's worth a visit.

Further:

John Scalzi's Old Man's War series is pretty good, too. Heinlein's stuff is golden, particularly Starship Troopers (has nothing to do with the movie, and is infinitely better) and The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.

Neal Stephenson's Anathem was very enjoyable. A lot of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books are good; my particular favorites are anything with Captain Vimes of the Night Watch, and the ones with Moist von Lipwig.

I have a huge paperback with the collected short stories of Arthur C. Clarke. I reread it every now and again, because it's just that good.

The entire Expanse series is quite the page-turner too. The TV series isn't bad--the production is great, though the story got mangled to amp up drama for the audience--but read the books. I was pleasantly surprised that they got acceleration gravity right, almost everything else is gravy.
    "Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - R. A. Heinlein

Re: Heinlein, "Door Into Summer" is fantastic and underrated.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

I enjoyed Bosch on Amazon. Are the books worth reading? Thinking about either the Bosch series or digging into Nelson Demille.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    I enjoyed Bosch on Amazon. Are the books worth reading? Thinking about either the Bosch series or digging into Nelson Demille.
    Yes, I found the Bosch novels to be pretty well written.

I just started rereading Lawrence Block's Keller the hitman series. Good stuff
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Just finished Unbroken- to me it's a must read book.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

My new release, Rose City Free Fall is out on Kindle:

Rose City Free Fall

Big thanks to Tom for being ok with me plugging my wares here on P-F.

Before anybody asks, yes I know the guy's finger is on the trigger on the cover. I'll ask my cover artist not to do that next time...
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List