Page 164 of 235 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214 ... LastLast
Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2342

Thread: Book Recommendations

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Fields of Blood: Religion and the History of Violence

https://www.amazon.com/Fields-Blood-...dp/0307946967/

The book examines the notion that religion causes violence and wars. Official blurb:

With unprecedented scope, Armstrong looks at the whole history of each tradition—not only Christianity and Islam, but also Buddhism, Hinduism, Confucianism, Daoism, and Judaism. Religions, in their earliest days, endowed every aspect of life with meaning, and warfare became bound up with observances of the sacred. Modernity has ushered in an epoch of spectacular violence, although, as Armstrong shows, little of it can be ascribed directly to religion.
    The book seeks to show that "religious violence" is almost always political violence or resource wars with a religious window dressing, examines the roles repression and violence play in creating extremists, and discusses the roots of (mostly interstate) violence in various ages. It covers a lot more ground then just religion and religious violence, as it has to in order to explain many of it's points. I was very familiar with the larger points of the book before reading it. The limits of agrarian empires and causes of collapse, the need for "othering" of enemies, that regardless of the marketing for a war the underlying cause is always a dispute over resource use, etc. I did, however, learn new things in the details of the histories of various faiths and nations and was exposed to some new supporting arguments for those ideas. Despite the name, it also gives a lot of time to religion and the history of peace as well, but I would suppose an editor/publisher picked a sexier title to get it to sell better. Some of the most interesting segments of the book are when rival sects split off and one encourages violence where the other doesn't. Same information, same holy texts, same place/time, facing the same problems, yet radically different conclusions on the role of violence to solve those problems.

As with my last book, not really an uplifting read. It's also not always a comfortable one, either, depending on how comfortable you are with your own hypocrisies. I think it's an important one though, especially if you read it then consider the parallels between political marketing and identity politics in violence in the modern age. We are more secular and religion plays less of a role, and a more compartmentalized role, in societies today then it ever has historically but that hasn't seemed to curb violence or even change the methods that large groups of people are convinced to support it. Secular messiahs, a need for orthodoxy and the excommunication of those who aren't 100% in agreement with that orthodoxy, anyone who isn't "us" is the enemy, "we fight them for their own good", etc.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Listening to Ready Player Two recently. It's pretty good, but it lacks the certain panache of the first book.

Not finding a good place to post this and not wanting to start a new thread:

Name:  Constitution Christmas.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  97.8 KB

Seen on Twitter: photo of the USS Constitution, December 2020. The oldest commissioned warship afloat.

Tieing it back to books - anyone interested in the old gal should check out Six Frigates by Ian Toll. The tale of the Constitution and her sister ships at the founding of the US Navy. Politics, engineering, drama, and war - It's got it all and is a favorite read.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Not finding a good place to post this and not wanting to start a new thread:

Seen on Twitter: photo of the USS Constitution, December 2020. The oldest commissioned warship afloat.

Tieing it back to books - anyone interested in the old gal should check out Six Frigates by Ian Toll. The tale of the Constitution and her sister ships at the founding of the US Navy. Politics, engineering, drama, and war - It's got it all and is a favorite read.
    Which begs the question, @Half Moon...given your forum handle, it seems you're selling Henry Hudson short.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Which begs the question, @Half Moon...given your forum handle, it seems you're selling Henry Hudson short.
    Well, now, giving old HH the benefit of the doubt, the difference between a commissioned warship and a ship's boat is rather like:

The Blues and Royals -

Name:  bluesandroyals helmet.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  35.1 KB

Versus Blue's Clues -

Name:  blues-clues-4e51a982cd298.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  20.9 KB

:-P

Egads, man!!!

There's nothing civil about this war.

Six Frigates is a really good book. I highly recommend it! I follow the Constitution on FB. They’re doing daily virtual tours.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    So I started by reading Neural Based Training which has a lot of interesting material about training using visualization-which he goes into greater detail than anyone else I've ever read-kinesthetic awareness and State Access. This last I found very interesting. It uses emotional arousal that is proper to the situation, like B.A.R. in gunfights to achieve control of those states and to inoculate you against the stressors. Also some interesting stuff learned from rehabbing stroke patients that he uses to make quicker changes to long held techniques.E.g, changing from a crush grip to the thumbs forward grip.

I'll definitely get the next in the series.

I've also blown through the Salt series and am now reading the Wylde trilogy.

I read his earlier stuff about 20 years ago-I particularly liked Warrior in the Shadows about an SAS Tiptoe lad who was also an Australian Aborigine Shaman.

Quite creepy.
    What a great post, there’s a lot to look into there.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Six Frigates is a really good book. I highly recommend it! I follow the Constitution on FB. They’re doing daily virtual tours.
    That is very cool! I didn't know about the virtual tours and will have to check them out. My company, at the time, sent me to five days training in Boston in the early 2000's. The days were mostly tied up by class. The two personal things I managed were to visit Bunker Hill (dear Lord, the stairs in the monument left me winded) and the Constitution. Someday I want to go back and see all the rest of the history there but those two made my year. Think I bought my copy of Six Frigates there but might have been at the San Francisco Maritime Museum a couple years later too.
    Last edited by Half Moon; 12-18-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    That is very cool! I didn't know about the virtual tours and will have to check them out. My company, at the time, sent me to five days training in Boston in the early 2000's. The days were mostly tied up by class. The two personal things I managed were to visit Bunker Hill (dear Lord, the stairs in the monument left me winded) and the Constitution. Someday I want to go back and see all the rest of the history there but those two made my year. Think I bought my copy of Six Frigates there but might have been at the San Francisco Maritime Museum a couple years later too.
    That’s funny because work is how I got to visit the Constitution. So in the late 90s another guy and I were sent to the S&W Academy for a chemical agent instructor class in Springfield. They flew us on Saturday so we had all of Sunday to play. I wanted to see the Constitution and Nick wanted to go to the Bull and Finch aka Cheers. It was a great day!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List